Talk

Advanced search

must-haves for living in Asia

(19 Posts)
flymo79 Thu 21-Jan-16 14:08:05

A bit of fun really, but can people recommend what to stock up on for me, DH, DD for a move to Malaysia this July? I have had a terrible time finding reasonable non-applicator tampons, for example, on holiday in SE Asia! (Or I may try to get used to a mooncup...), Dd will be 2, husband doesn't really have any essentials but will need to take weather appropriate work wear... Other pointers for what is difficult to get hold of?

fatowl Thu 21-Jan-16 22:48:15

re tampons, my dds find it harder to find applicator tampons tbh. Applicator tampax is very expensive if you can find them. Local non applicator tampons are fine.
I have a mooncup though (bought in the UK)

Sunblock is expensive and I don't trust the cheap local brands. I'd stock up when Boots are having a 3-2 offer.

If you're a rubbish cook (like me) I'd stock up on packet cooking sauces for things like Spag Bol, the local ones are loaded with sugar.

Other than that, we are fairly well provided for in Malaysia

flymo79 Fri 22-Jan-16 08:13:43

Thanks owl! Dh suggested sunblock, I just thought it was coals to Newcastle so very happy to be corrected!!
It's so miserable here today, very pleased to be thinking of far-away places....

blueshoes Fri 22-Jan-16 09:09:53

If you have big boobs, some bras?

Artandco Fri 22-Jan-16 09:14:49

Marmite

Laptopwieldingharpy Fri 22-Jan-16 09:32:04

Yes bras! And good swimwear too!
Properly fitted kids shoes.
Weather appropriate work wear....have your DH bring his best suit and shirts and gonto a tailor. They will have a good selection of cloth.
Nice shoes for work too. Shopping may be a challenge for bigger feet ( for you too)

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 22-Jan-16 09:34:29

Lemsip

Insect repellent with DEET

Shoes - if your feet are over size 5, you won't find much at the cheaper end of the market. You can buy bigger shoes from Clarks, Rockport, Birkenstock etc. so it's not that they are unavailable, just a limited choice and pricey.

Swimming costumes - I buy mine in the UK in the summer and take them back to KL with me.

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 22-Jan-16 09:35:33

X post with Laptop on the matter of shoes!

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 22-Jan-16 09:36:48

And swimwear too!

NatD1 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:41:12

My standard UK shopping list.

Hair dye. Shoes (I have size 8 feet). Bras. M&S knickers. Clothes (I'm tall). Medicines - usual calpol, cold & flu, kids stuff. Tampax. Avon soft oil spray - supposedly good for keeping mossies at bay (but regardless what I use they eat me anyway). Suntan cream if it's on offer. A mate used to ask me to bring ky jelly and condoms (again I'm not sure if this available or not, I've never checked. I just did as any good friend would do and not question the shopping list).

Marmite (however I saw it in KL under lock and key behind the checkout - weird the things people must steal). Oxo. Stuffing. Gravy. Random packets of sauces and casseroles (that I never seem to use but like having a stockpile in my cupboard).

Hubby likes Branson pickle and teabags (but think that's not an issue in malaysia).

My mum goes mad trying to stuff packets of crisps and biscuits and angel delight and any little thing my kids have ever mentioned they like into my overladen cases. Which I normally have to dump on poor unsuspecting others before we get to the airport! Ditto my mil giving the kids last minute random craft projects.

Ah yes and I have been known to snaffle in cheese and crumpets.

NatD1 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:42:31

How could I forget brown sauce and salad cream. Please someone tell me this is available in KL as my current stocks have ran out.

blueshoes Fri 22-Jan-16 09:53:55

A lot of the make up and skin care will be aimed at lightening the skin. If you want products that put colour or tan into your skin, then best bring some along.

Laptopwieldingharpy Fri 22-Jan-16 10:50:57

Avon soft skin oil works a treat!

NatD1 Fri 22-Jan-16 12:04:09

Thanks laptop. I'll bring along my 5 bottles. I'll bathe in it smile

flymo79 Fri 22-Jan-16 13:47:49

Thanks all! I've used the Avon skin so soft, it's good for kids too, so will stock up! Thanks for the reminder about lightening products too, will make sure I have full stash of all facial stuff before I go.
Hadn't thought about undies, I'm not blessed with big boobs but I like an m&s bra so might treat myself before we leave. Are there companies you all rely on for worldwide delivery?

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 22-Jan-16 14:26:26

There are a number of M&S branches in KL where you can buy bras. The prices are a bit inflated, of course.

I don't get anything delivered at all. Nothing at all. Two reasons, first is that the guards at my condo don't take in parcels so the parcels get taken away again if I am not in, second is that too much goes missing en route. I occasionally send something OUT of Malaysia by post or courier but I never get anything sent in. I even asked family not to send parcels, after we had had some go missing.

Others will perhaps have better experience of getting stuff delivered. I think that if you live in a house (not a condo) with someone in all the time you might fare better with deliveries actually arriving. Maybe.

flymo79 Fri 22-Jan-16 15:01:56

shockok, thanks
Definitely worth keeping in mind... How about posting to workplaces, likely to also not accept parcels??

MarjorieAntrobus Fri 22-Jan-16 15:26:37

I guess posting to the workplace would be fine as far as someone accepting it goes, but there is still the possibility of the parcel "going missing" before it gets there. Call me cynical . . .

fatowl Sat 23-Jan-16 08:59:26

yes yes yes to bras if you are D cup or above.
Yes we have M&S, but me and the three dds all DD+, really struggle.
DD1 was 34E at one point, could never get anything.
If you are C or below you'll be fine.

You can get brown sauce and salad cream.

I don't get anything delivered either. Requires a lot of planning but if there is something important you can usually find someone with visitors/traveling for business who will bring you stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now