Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you emigrated to Canada...

(4 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Tue 05-Jan-16 16:36:15

....why did you?
DP is Canadian and waxes lyrical about the better "quality of life" and we've been talking about maybe moving there. It would be to Halifax, NS, where she's from. Our sons are 1yo and 3yo.

But when it comes down to it - what IS this supposed improved quality of life...?!

Tell me what makes your life in Canada better than life in the UK.

Thanks smile

toffeeboffin Wed 06-Jan-16 18:52:10

I'm a Brit living in Quebec.

Married DH who is French Canadian. Moved over here in 2009. DS was born here, in 2013.

For me the pros of living here are :

Nearly free daycare - $7 a day - not sure if this exists in NS.

Four definite seasons - gorgeous summers, very cold winters. I don't mind the cold.

People are less aggressive, easier to make friends, very open.

Less crime.

Cheaper - we have a four-bed detached house and huge garden - would never afford that in the UK.

Great food in restaurants, very affordable too.

Great outdoors - canoeing, hiking, skiing, very accessible etc.

Cons:

French language (not a problem in NS)

Far from family (mine all in UK)

Nothing like National Trust etc, days out.

Healthcare system isn't great - not sure about NS.

Huge distance between places. Wine is more expensive. Flights are more expensive.

Can be a bit insular - a bit small town mentality. And bear in mind Canada is probably ten years behind UK fro lots fo stuff i.e. Just waking up to certain issues.

Farandole Mon 18-Jan-16 21:54:35

I was born in Quebec but emigrated to the UK ten years ago. <waves at Toffee, like ships in the night>.

Halifax is very friendly. It really is just a big village. The weather is by and large similar to the UK (nowhere near as cold as Quebec). People drive slowly. There is no cultural life to speak of. No money either, so much less inequalities than in the UK. Nearly no private schools - even well-off kids go to state secondaries. Education isn't great.

It's very unsophisticated. And a bit small minded, too (no offence to your DP! Quebec is the same.).

On the plus side, the lobster is plentiful and excellent. People don't work as hard as here. You will easily make friends. There's less pressure keeping up with the Jones, as the Jones don't have much either. smile

OnceAnImmigrant Mon 18-Jan-16 22:23:34

NC to protect identity. <Cheekily marks place>

I lived in Ontario for a while when I was growing up. I'm interested to know what attracts people to stay in Canada and what I missed out on after we moved back to the UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now