Talk

Advanced search

If you're in Oz, do you do Christmas in July?

(35 Posts)
lborgia Fri 25-Dec-15 23:49:49

Just thought of it because i was too sick to cook, Dh dogs a great job, but used a pudding someone gave us rather than the delicious one i had ready. I don't think it will keep 12 months grin

I do end up wearing the odds jumper with snowy scenes because i want to wallow in the chill, but have you gone as far as a proper dinner and decorations? !

ovenchips Fri 25-Dec-15 23:51:55

Say what now?fgrin

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 26-Dec-15 01:08:05

No one I know in Australia celebrates Christmas in July. Christmas is December just like everywhere else.

Archduke Sat 26-Dec-15 01:10:33

Nope, we don't but some do.

Why don't you have your lovely pudding on NYE or NYday?

LadyCassandra Sat 26-Dec-15 01:22:50

No. But we did eat last years pudding yesterday if that helps?!

lborgia Sat 26-Dec-15 01:32:16

Mm, well i might just choose the coldest day and eat it all with a spoon! Lady C, if I'd made it i would expect it to last the year, but as it's bought i have no faith.

I don't think it's instead of normal Christmas, just am extra one :-)

LadyCassandra Sat 26-Dec-15 09:37:03

We did Christmas in July the first year we got here, so 4.5 years ago. It was fun, there were 4 families, we all contributed a plate/course and put up a tree and did secret Santa. Hasn't been repeated but that may be due to the transient nature of where we live, the same group of people are not around anymore!

enderwoman Sat 26-Dec-15 11:05:27

They celebrate it in December but eat outdoors and have a lighter Christmas dinner than we do.

lborgia Sat 26-Dec-15 11:20:42

?? I'm not sure you understood my post ender, I've lived here in Oz for 8 years and I know that we all celebrate in December.

Most people i know don't eat outside because it's either way too hot or raining (well in the last few years anyway), and they all eat like piglets grin .

What i was asking for was experiences of doing Christmas in July, which is a thing, as I've missed out a bit this week.

It does sound a bit of a faff, i might just keep the pudding til winter and serve it after a big Sunday lunch .

Thanks all!

GrinAndTonic Sat 26-Dec-15 11:23:11

I have never celebrated it or known anyone else to do it. However a lot of hotels or restaurants seems to do it as a gimmick. I could not be arsed.

lborgia Sat 26-Dec-15 11:38:43

Ah, maybe it's the hotel thing. Thanks grin, makes sense that it's another opportunity to spend money smile

Archduke Sat 26-Dec-15 11:39:23

Big LOLZ to those misunderstanding your OP grin

Squirrelsmum Sat 26-Dec-15 11:47:24

I keep saying every year we are going to do it, but it never happens. There are a few towns that get into the spirit of it and will put on a spread for all and sundry on the range inland from us. I would love a white Christmas and I hate the goddam heat and flies that accompany Christmas lunch.

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 26-Dec-15 16:03:03

So is it just something the Brits do then? Im an Australian and never heard of it.

SellFridges Sat 26-Dec-15 16:06:00

I have friends in NZ who have a mid-winter Christmas. They're all Brits originally and don't have a full roast on Christmas Day. In July they have a full meal and do secret Santa with gifts from charity shops.

Aussie13 Sat 26-Dec-15 16:29:14

Plenty of Brits in Perth do Xmas in July , cos it's colder & dark more winter like instead of 36 degrees

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 26-Dec-15 16:31:19

Ah so it is a "brit" thing then?

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Dec-15 16:32:56

No but I've done a Christmas dinner at Easter instead.

Aussie13 Sat 26-Dec-15 17:25:11

Xmas in July a Brit thing yes!

lborgia Sat 26-Dec-15 19:34:12

Squirrelsmum , I'm truly disturbed by your post as i always call my children Squirrel, and the rest of your sentence sounds like me too - woo!

sell love the idea of secret Santa from charity shops, must remember that.

Yes it's a brit thing but it's also a Blue Mountains thing I now realise. Lots of sydney goes to the blue mountains in winter, inundated on weekends where there's snow, and this year when i was there lots of places were advertising Christmas in July.

Yule Fest

JassyRadlett Sat 26-Dec-15 19:35:30

Have a Solstice party OP - keeping the idea of Yule!

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 26-Dec-15 19:41:24

Your not in Australia though are you Ilborgia? If you are then you are up very early. smile

lborgia Sat 26-Dec-15 20:10:10

Oh always - i am and i am! Various ailments make it impossible for me to sleep in even on a day like today when i really could! So I'm looking up snowy Christmases, how to ship uk chocolate, and costs of flights to London grin

It will pass but i have to wallow occasionally.

AlwaysBeYourself Sat 26-Dec-15 20:30:34

Awwwww. Don't worry, no snow here but lots of terrible flooding.
My parents were over here last month and they went back just in time. They were feeling the cold and starting to get fed up of the rain. They are so happy to be back home there.

GrinAndTonic Sat 26-Dec-15 21:52:51

Why have snow when you can have flooding, fires, heatwaves and storms?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now