Advanced search

Gaining permission from ex to take children to live abroad

(5 Posts)
Emms86 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:05:35

I plan to move overseas in summer 2016 with my husband and my 3 children, the eldest two have a different Dad who has agreed in principle to them going shock shock What I am really looking for is advice from other mums in a similar situation,
What document did you have your ex sign?
Have you encountered any problems while flying in and out of UK with the children?
Any help would be so appreciated!

BlissfullyUnknown Mon 14-Dec-15 18:16:08

If he is agreeable then look into getting a court order which states this.

marcopront Mon 14-Dec-15 18:26:20

A lot will depend on where you are going.
I have a letter from my ex stating that I have full custody. I submitted it with her visa application. I always carry the letter and a copy of his passport but have never been asked for it.
Flying into the UK they often ask what our relationship is but that is it.

lifeisunjust Mon 14-Dec-15 21:47:43

Advice already given as you'll need a court order to do it if you share parental responsibilities too.

Be aware, if you don't do this and the father alerts any officialdom in the UK, you'll go on Home Office records and will find it rather difficult if you ever come back to the UK and this data is likely to be shared with Schengen countries too.

Emms86 Mon 14-Dec-15 22:45:51

Thanks for the replies, I have consulted a solicitor on this previously who basically said that written agreement is enough even though he has parental responsibility (I have a residence order though). She did say it would make it more of a cast iron agreement to get a court order to this effect but essentially a signed agreement is enough legally which is why I'm interested to hear from other mums before I decide whether to take it all the way to court.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: