Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Hong Kong - Money, Housing etc

(4 Posts)
UtterFuckery Tue 10-Nov-15 21:01:00

I've been offered a job in HK working for an international company.

No housing allowance, but some help with relocation. The monthly salary is HKD100,000.

Although I'm married I'm effectively moving as a single woman because DH lives elsewhere in Asia (long story). No kids yet and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it - I see this potential HK move being medium term (18 months - 3 years).

Is the salary enough to rent a nice place and have an enjoyable lifestyle? My new office would be near Admiralty and if possible I would like to have a really easy commute - either walk, taxi or short train. 2 bed apartment, ideally with a swimming pool.

KeyserSophie Tue 10-Nov-15 23:15:22

Hello. Yes, you'll be fine. Basically your monthly take home will be. c HKD90,000 after MPF and tax (tax is not deducted at source but paid in the January after the end of the first tax year. You pay for the last tax year and an estimate for a year in advance so there's a cashflow impact). You can rent a nice but small 2 bed in mid levels or the nice part of wan chai for HKD30-40k but unlikely to have a pool. If you're prepared to have a 1 bed, then a pool/ club facilities are possible. Just be prepared for the apartment being majorly small though, even if you're used to London apartments. You can walk to Admiralty from most of mid-levels/ wan chai, at least in winter, taxis are cheap and the MTR is fast and clean (and air conditioned), and Admiralty is a major interchange. The areas slightly further west (kennedy town, sheung wan etc) are cheaper and are now on the MTR (4/5 stops).

If you do get pregnant, the public health service is totally adequate- like the NHS - although your work insurance may provide maternity benefits (many don't though or you may need to pay extra for it)

Laptopwieldingharpy Tue 10-Nov-15 23:46:57

You'll be fine!
Good point about making a provision for taxes. You'll need a 2 month deposit for your rental too. Its really easy to travel throughout Asia on local airlines from HK so weekends should be easy to organise. You can register to use fast track immigration through automated gates and the airport exoress gets you into central in 30mn.

Laptopwieldingharpy Tue 10-Nov-15 23:58:01

Admiralty is a major hub so you could be walking distance / a couple of train stops in the areas mentioned above. You could also go further and just or a short bus/tram Rude to happy valley.
You can also find something under 40k on the beaches. 20-30mn bus ride into central, and a new mtr opening soon one stop from Admiralty. So well worth considering if you want that lifestyle. Hong kong is a fabulous natural site. Sea and mountains everywhere within 10mn of the central district!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now