Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you move a young family to Malaysia/Singapore with the haze?

(10 Posts)
ALickAndAPromise Thu 22-Oct-15 11:00:47

Just that really. Anyone currently living in the haze region, would you advise against moving there with very young children (baby and 4yo)?

TIA

fatowl Thu 22-Oct-15 13:30:49

I'm in Malaysia
It's grim at the moment, but it has to pass. They are talking about it possibly last until early 2016.
The last time it was this bad was 1997/8.

International schools are putting air purifiers into classrooms, we are all just trying to get on with things.

I won't deny it's not good at the moment but I think it would depend where you are coming from. Beijing still has worse air quality for a start.

I'm in the UK next and sincerely hoping for some crisp autumn blue skies

CrazyMayonnaisy Thu 22-Oct-15 14:59:55

I'm in Sg with small kids and the past few weeks has been the worst it's been for years. There was only the odd day last year but we actually were out of the country at the time so it's the first time we've experienced it (been here two years) so until now has not been a problem at all. This time though it's not been constant, comes and goes, and you develop a sense of it without even checking the official readings, so you know when it's safe or not safe to go out and make the most of it when it's clear. I liken it to dealing with UK weather - unpredictable, a bit annoying, but you take precautions where necessary, get on with it and there are still plenty of places to go indoors with kids.
Like Fatowl says it's certainly worse in some other cities at the best of times!

ALickAndAPromise Fri 23-Oct-15 21:54:01

Thank you both so much. It's a tricky one.

Fatowl we had a lovely crisp autumn day today, you would have loved it. Lots of orange leaves on the floor to kick about in.

feckityfeck Sat 24-Oct-15 08:06:30

We are planning a move to Singapore next year. We went out to visit a couple of weeks ago and coped ok with the haze, but I have to say I'm feeling a bit spooked by the prospect of it continuing into 2016. It's one thing if it's a temporary thing, lasting a couple of weeks/a month out of the year, but when it's 4/5/6 months a year that's going to have much more of an impact on quality of life.

It's not knowing that's the problem. Part of me thinks 'they' can't possibly let it get this bad again, but there doesn't seem to be a 'they' that is taking responsibility/able to do anything about it...

Pupsiecola Sat 24-Oct-15 10:15:56

I'm due to go to Singapore mid November for 6 days. It's the first time I've been back since we left but I'm probably going to postpone until January/February. I want to get out and about whilst there, not be stuck in my hotel room. I was so looking forward to going and I think it will be a cathartic experience, plus it's taken me a while to psych myself up for the trip and the flight and being away from the kids etc. Those living there, would you postpone if you were me?!

TerrorAustralis Sun 25-Oct-15 16:24:06

The winter monsoon is due to start, and prevailing winds are moving from southerly to south-easterly. Within a week or two the should have moved to northerly. This means that although the cause of the haze is not fixed, it won't be affecting us. The winter monsoon lasts until February/March.

I'm not sure how much you know about the situation, so forgive me if I'm repeating what you already know. What is needed is good persistent rains to put out the fires in the peatlands. Unfortunately the El Nino system means we're having less rain and the monsoon will probably yield less rain than usual. However, I do think the winds will still change.

What this means is that even though the fires may still be burning for months to come, Singapore and Malaysia should not be affected by haze. Of course if the fires are still burning early next year, it will come back.

papooshka Fri 30-Oct-15 11:03:09

Pupsiecola thats v exciting you are going back for a trip! We are going next easter too, I can't wait ! (sorry to hijack!)

Pupsiecola Fri 30-Oct-15 22:55:45

Papooshka I have postponed until February. That's the earliest I can go due to DH's work travel commitments.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Tue 03-Nov-15 20:15:45

Wish we were going back for a visit - Texas is too far...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now