New Zealand Passport Expired.

(6 Posts)
Babyroobs Tue 01-Sep-15 11:19:36

Just wondering if anyone knows about emigration to New Zealand. We lived there for 4.5 years from 1997-2001. MY dh and myself had permanent residency status and my 2 ds's were born there. My eldest ds had a NZ passport which has been expired for many years and my ds2 never had a NZ passport as we moved back to the UK when he was 9 months old. The question I need answering is - if my eldest ds ( now 17) wanted to go and live in NZ or Australia would he be able to if he renewed his NZ passport or would it not be allowed as he has lived here for 14 years? Thanks for any information.

OP’s posts: |
AuntieStella Tue 01-Sep-15 11:26:48

I think the general rule is that if you qualify for a nationality, you qualify. Holding a passport is just the convenient way of demonstrating that.

Removal of nationality usually comes down to more than just a period living abroad with an expired passport.

There are IIRC no issues from either nation about being a Brit/Kiwi dual national.

So unless you or your DC1 has renounced his citizenship, he'll still be one. If your DC2 was in the same category and there were no changed in citizenship rules between their respective birthdays, he'll qualify on the same grounds as DC1.

You could trying ringing or emailing the consular department of the High Commission with your specific circumstances, and you'll get a definitive answer from them.

schokolade Tue 01-Sep-15 13:57:26

Yep, basic agreement with the above.

It's a bit of a pain to apply for an NZ passport - has to be signed by a current NZ passport holder (slightly complicated ways around this though).

Still, you don't need a passport to be a citizen. I have a UK passport with an endorsement of NZ citizenship inside it.

Babyroobs Tue 01-Sep-15 15:39:19

Thanks for the advice. Schokolade do you know if a replacement passport application would still need to be signed by a NZ passport holder? I do still keep in touch with some friends there.

OP’s posts: |
schokolade Tue 01-Sep-15 18:52:42

Every application, renewal or otherwise has to be signed by a nz passport holder not related to the applicant by blood or marriage, iirc. Some conditions about length of acquaintance too.

JokerOnTheHilltop Sat 19-Sep-15 08:56:26

Just wanted to say that the last time I renewed my NZ passport ( it was this year), I didn't need someone else with a nz passport to sign it. I just needed to give the details of someone with a NZ passport who knew me. This could work if you still know people in NZ?
( this was for a renewal of an adult passport though. Not sure if the rules would be different if applying for an adult passport for the first time).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in