Talk

Advanced search

Renewing UK Passport from overseas

(44 Posts)
MEgirl Fri 21-Aug-15 16:57:05

Has anyone done this recently? How long did it take? My brother is in Israel and hasn't had a new passport for many years. He wants to come to England soon but we don't know how long it will take for the passport office to turn the whole thing around.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 21-Aug-15 17:15:49

I'm in Portugal and did mine a couple of months ago, got it back within 3 weeks, I don't know if it's different outside of the EU?

mmmminx Fri 21-Aug-15 17:20:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wearyheadedlady Fri 21-Aug-15 23:40:31

We did this in the USA - we had to send our passports with the renewal paperwork, photos etc to the British Consulate in Washington DC - they sent it onto the UK and then it came directly to our home when it was finished. We were told to expect a 6-8 week period but the passports came back within 3 weeks which seemed very fast. You need to check online with the British passport office for their policies per country of residence.

lulalullabye Sat 22-Aug-15 00:06:40

I recently renewed mine from Australia. It took 13 days door to door to get it back, I was totally amazed!!

JellyTipisthebest Sat 22-Aug-15 00:52:01

We did my husbands recently and it was 2 weeks including coming back from immigration nz with new visa. From NZ

LuubyLuu Tue 01-Sep-15 11:56:38

Mine took about three weeks, also from NZ. Need to make sure you have your old passport though, if not that would definitely delay it.

SteveBrucesNose Tue 01-Sep-15 11:59:40

5 days from UAE! Was completely shocked by that. His old passport (including residence visa for here) arrived back 1 week later.

mrsnec Tue 01-Sep-15 12:10:19

3 weeks from Cyprus but it was a first passport for dd and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It's about what I'd guessed though.

millionsmom Mon 07-Sep-15 06:09:42

Normally they are pretty quick. As you can see from the pp. Does the embassy in Isreal do passport renewals? The one in Oman doesn't. We had to fly back to the UK to renew, but they hadn't expired just ran out of pages.
I can see problems for your brother though, they might want to interview him, find out why he let it expire.

Boleh Mon 07-Sep-15 06:28:20

My understanding is that you can no longer do renewals through an embassy or consulate (since some time in the last year or so I think). I've been putting mine off until I visit the UK as I don't want to be abroad without an identification document - I can't even buy medicine from a pharmacy without it! The news of very quick turnarounds recently is good though.

Mistigri Mon 07-Sep-15 06:36:19

It changed a couple of years ago so that applications can only be made in the UK and not at consulates.

From what I hear, turnaround times are very reasonable at the moment, and normally autumn is the best time to apply if you want a speedy turnaround (my last passport renewal took 4 days, but that was before the system changed).

hebihebi Mon 07-Sep-15 06:42:04

Yes, the rules changed a while back so now all applications in the world are sent through the UK. I think it's a pot luck how long these things take. He's better to apply before booking flights.

SofiaAmes Mon 07-Sep-15 06:45:28

You can complete the application form online and there are very clear instructions/information about how to do it and send it and how much it costs. If you are in the UK, he can send everything to you and you can mail it in for him (as long as you have a uk address for it to be sent back to).

ErnesttheBavarian Mon 07-Sep-15 07:06:33

From Germany it took us 2 weeks. But if they haven't had a pp for years it may take longer? Eg Now if the person hasn't changed much you don't have to get the photo countersigned. But if 8ts been years I expect you'd have to.

hellokittymania Mon 07-Sep-15 07:18:23

£450 at FCO Hong Kong?! I'm waiting on a work permit (Vietnam) and am in the UK. I might renew it here.

CherryLip Tue 08-Sep-15 14:44:53

Just done mine from Spain. You apply and pay on line then print and sign the declaration and post it to Belfast. Mine was delivered back in under three weeks via DHL....it took a week to get there with MRW courier! This was for a renewal not first passport.

EmilyAlice Sat 26-Sep-15 09:02:26

Can anyone tell me roughly how long the courier delivery takes? Mine was dispatched on Friday afternoon and we are in Northern France. Do you get any more tracking info or does the courier just phone?
Just trying to decide if I need to stay in for the whole of next week. grin

Gotobloodysleep Sat 26-Sep-15 09:13:44

I did mine and my husbands at the beginning of the year, we live in China. It took less than 3 weeks in total. Super impressed

StartingPistol Sun 27-Sep-15 21:36:07

I renewed 2 of my DC in January this year from Canada. They took 3 weeks. Their passports had expired in 2010.
I also applied for U.K. passports at the same time for 2 of my DC that were born in Canada. They were returned in 4 weeks. All much quicker than I expected.

SofiaAmes Mon 28-Sep-15 06:01:27

So, my dc's had their last passport at age 10 and are now renewing at age 15. The form says that if they are unrecognizable from their last photo you have to get signatures swearing that it's them. This is difficult when you are abroad. Anybody have any experience with this. Did you try to get it through without signatures on the photo, or did you just get the signatures?

Idefix Mon 28-Sep-15 06:08:52

We have never bothered with the signatures, and never had a problem. I think even with a hair colour change dd pp was not questioned Sofia.

SofiaAmes Mon 28-Sep-15 08:40:33

Thank you! I have been agonizing over that. Also, they don't seem to require both parents to sign. The usa ones do until age 16. Am I missing something on the UK one?

SofiaAmes Fri 06-Nov-15 02:05:30

Just had ds' passport renewed from abroad. I mailed it from the USA on October 23 and had the new passport delivered back today, November 5. Wow! I am so impressed at how quickly it went.

alteredimages Fri 06-Nov-15 11:24:30

That's great SofiaAmes!

I was just feeling very stupid and sheepish because I have let DD's passport expire, thus breaking the first rule of living abroad. I am an idiot.

No online applications from my country of residence, so it has to all be done with paper forms. It will also need a countersignature.

The FCO says at least six weeks, but your experience has given me hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now