Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know anything about Almaty in Kazakhastan....

(7 Posts)
movingagainwith2 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:00:17

Borat jokes aside DH has an early offer to move there and Google, mumsnet and the Internet in general seems to offer very little in terms of schools, houses and life ingeneral. Does anyone live there now or have lived there recently.

Laptopwieldingharpy Fri 31-Jul-15 04:34:48

Keep bumping there are a couple of mners who have lived there....maybe not so recently.

movingagainwith2 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:25:36

Thank you laptop

Bonsoir Sun 02-Aug-15 09:37:54

The company from which your DH has received his offer should offer a relocation package, including consultants, for such a difficult destination. If they don't - don't bother.

Alicekeach Sun 02-Aug-15 09:43:59

I read a book a few years ago called "Diplomatic Baggage"'by Brigid Keenan. It's about her life as the spouse of a diplomat. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Almaty was one of their postings. From what I remember, it wasn't that great...

movingagainwith2 Mon 03-Aug-15 09:08:26

That is a v funny book book Alice. And good point about the consultants bonsoir.

prutic Thu 06-Aug-15 11:51:41

if none of you speaks Russian, it will be rather difficult for you. People there don't know English sad Police is rather corrupted, government hospitals are terrible. Private much better. In general you can read info about Russia, pretty much the same (but with some differences sometimes) I've lived in both countries smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now