Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Morocco (Casablanca)?

(8 Posts)
Laureline Tue 28-Jul-15 22:24:56

Hello all.

After 4 years in London, I've been approached for a job based in Casablanca.

If anyone has any experience of living there (or any part of Morocco), I'd really love to here from them, because I have mixed feelings. I know Morocco is probably the most stable country in North Africa, etc, but the culture shock would be much higher than when we moved to the UK...

I've tried reading French expat forums, but they're mainly animated by French retirees looking for sunshine and a cheaper cost of living, while we're in our 30s with a young child, and would be living in the biggest industrial and commercial city...

cannotseeanend Wed 29-Jul-15 07:29:49

Take a look at the new Belgian school to the east. My friend is moving her kids there, they are living in a compound 300m from the school and right by the sea. It looks nice, all the houses have small pools. Her kids will be cycling to school. There will be many English speakers at this school and by sending to a French school means a little bit of integration, whilst also enjoying an expat community and also with the city right next door.

sanfairyanne Wed 29-Jul-15 09:00:09

you dont need to live in casa, which i would never move to grin , look at places up or down the coast and commute in
morocco is great for a certain type (types) but it is not 'expat' in the sense of,say, dubai. sorry if that is stating the obvious, just a lot of people seem surprised when they arrive

sanfairyanne Wed 29-Jul-15 09:01:08

are you french btw?

Laureline Wed 29-Jul-15 22:44:12

cannotsee - thanks, I will definitly keep that in mind. My daughter speaks both French and English, so it would be lovely if she (and I) could keep British friends and have both languages a part of her daily life.

sanfairyanne yes we are French, and have been living for the past 4 years in London, so my daughter basically grew up here.

I understand from your message that Casablanca center in itself is not great in terms of quality of life? Could you give me some details? I don't mind apartment living but I'm maybe naive.

How is the commute when you live further out? I would be working near the Place des Nations Unies which seems very central. I'm a bit scared of driving in Morocco (I've never used much my driving license, to be honest) and they seem to be "creative" drivers. wink

Again, I really appreciate all feedback as I feel a bit lost.

sanfairyanne Wed 29-Jul-15 23:27:11

its great that you/your daughter are already french speakers, makes life much easier and a much bigger expat community.
yes, the driving is shocking, just expect the unexpected!

sanfairyanne Wed 29-Jul-15 23:35:46

its really hard to think what to say. its completely different, of course, to uk/france in so many ways. lots of positives but i would also be a bit cautious. it is not the kind of place you will integrate particularly well with the locals, although moroccans are super friendly and hospitable, so you can end up in an expat bubble but without the 'glamour' of the middle east expat lifestyle. it can sometimes feel dangerous, depending on the politics of the moment. casa is just big and dirty and polluted. i'm not keen on all that - most people we knew lived further out by the coast and either drove or took the train in.

Laptopwieldingharpy Mon 10-Aug-15 12:01:20

Hi, just saw this. I know casablanca well. Tried to PM you but could not.
PM me, i can answer specific questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now