Talk

Advanced search

advice needed from NZers or their families in UK

(14 Posts)
hesterton Thu 18-Jun-15 06:16:06

Is it possible to buy book tokens from the UK as gifts for family in NZ? I'm not having much joy finding out online.

Thanks smile

FeijoaSundae Thu 18-Jun-15 06:22:49

Hi - do you mean like buying Whitcoulls tokens in the UK to be spent in NZ?

I'm not sure, to be honest, but I'd imagine so. Check their website, otherwise depending on which city they're in, you could probably contact a good local book shop (Unity in Wellington, type thing) arrange payment and maybe email a voucher?

hesterton Thu 18-Jun-15 06:25:49

Thanks! Will look at Unity. Is it easy to find? I have just read about prezzie cards - are they well known and user friendly?

hesterton Thu 18-Jun-15 06:30:52

I'm surprised there aren't more companies who make it easier to buy from UK for family in NZ. There must be so many of us in this position! Have emailed Unity, thanks.

FeijoaSundae Thu 18-Jun-15 06:32:36

Never heard of prezzie cards, but that doesn't mean anything!

Whitcoulls and Paper Plus are the main chains.

Unity is an independent, so would only be any good if the recipient is in Wellington. If they're in another city, it might pay to google bookshops in that city's name, IYSWIM.

Aridane Thu 18-Jun-15 06:37:32

My NZ SIL + brother says NZ books out there are outrageously expensive. Hence bulk purchasing books when in the UK, and finally moving to Kindle. Would Amazon vouchers work better (cost wise)?

WhatSheSaid Thu 18-Jun-15 06:41:47

I've used prezzies cards here but I'm not sure if you can buy them online from the Uk for use in NZ. I've seen them for sale at Post Offices and some other shops here.

You could always send an online Amazon gift voucher for them to use?

Horopu Thu 18-Jun-15 06:42:23

Agree with Aridane that books here are very expensive. Book depository are best people to use I've found, although they don't do vouchers. Which isn't much help, sorry.

hesterton Thu 18-Jun-15 08:50:52

Unity emailed back and we're very helpful - thanks.for that link. It's good to be able to support independents.

None of us are going over for a while.or I'd buy books - and not sure postage costs would be any less than extra price on books in NZ.

dontevenblink Thu 18-Jun-15 09:15:19

Whitcoulls do gift cards www.whitcoulls.co.nz/gifting-gift-cards/gift-cards/ (Sorry, can't remember how to do clicky links) so you could pay online with your UK card and just have it delivered to your family here. My dm does this with toys for the DC, she uses her UK debit card to order from a toy shop here.

Books can be expensive here but Whitcoulls do have lots of offers. They're doing buy one, get second half price for example, and the Roald Dalh books are only $6 at moment (just bought some yesterday smile). I do rely on my Kindle a lot here though!

FeijoaSundae Thu 18-Jun-15 09:47:12

Unity are fab. Book shops sadly closing down at a rate, but they are always buzzing.

The cost books is criminal here, but then again, everything is.

Horopu Thu 18-Jun-15 09:56:48

The Book Depository has free international postage. Books usually take about a week to arrive here. bookdepository.com
I'm always buying books for school from them.

WhatSheSaid Thu 18-Jun-15 11:56:10

Yes you can send books via the Book Depository and postage is free.

hesterton Thu 18-Jun-15 17:02:12

Thanks all. Really helpful tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now