Talk

Advanced search

my AS son is moving to Shanghai....

(9 Posts)
vicarinatutu Mon 15-Jun-15 23:49:32

im terrified.
its dependent on his visa application being accepted but he is really wanting to go. He has a girlfriend in Bejing.

its a years contract. senior position and he would be very well placed to get a job back in blighty after a year.

please tell me anyone .....anyone who has lived or worked in china....what does he and i need to know?

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 15-Jun-15 23:52:39

Hey vicar you're in the wrong topic, you need to post in Living Overseas.

Hope you get some good and reassuring advice.

vicarinatutu Tue 16-Jun-15 00:07:44

oops....ill report my post to hq....thanks.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jun-15 10:40:16

Morning all,

We're moving this thread over to Living Overseas now. smile

Alligatorpie Sat 20-Jun-15 07:42:40

I live in shanghai and love it. It is a a crazy, noisy, exciting place to be and if the air, water and weather were better I think I would stay forever!

How old is he, and what kind of work does he do? Shanghai is a very fun social place to be!

I am not sure what kind of info you are after...if you ask more specific questions, I am sure you will get more replies.

Laptopwieldingharpy Sat 20-Jun-15 09:48:00

Shanghai is very expat friendly. One year will fly by very quickly, be prepared! he might overstay!
These postings are usually a very good career move so have no worries, there is usually something bigger and better that follows and he will grow a lot as a person too.

Not sure what you mean by AS in your title so can't answer that nor give you specifics as I'm in HK.

A few popular expat forums you might want to search or direct him to are:

www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/
www.internations.org/shanghai-expats (after you register, they send regular notifications for meet ups etc...)
shanghai.asiaxpat.com

Make sure you plan a visit if you can!

All the best!

RepeatAdNauseum Sat 20-Jun-15 09:54:04

I'm guessing AS is autistic spectrum or aspergers syndrome.

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

fatowl Sun 21-Jun-15 01:00:57

My NT dd21 just got back from 7 months in China (not Shanghai though)
She had an amazing time and I know she will go back

Is he going with a company he is familiar with, or it is a new employer?
How does he cope with new situations?

vicarinatutu Mon 10-Aug-15 20:49:27

sorry guys been away and just found this and the replies. He landed there today.
he is in IT.
he has a chinese girlfriend in bejing. (the driver for going i think!)

he does have aspergers but is very confident and copes amazingly well with new things - he is fearless.

its a new employer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now