Talk

Advanced search

Certified copy of UK passport (New York)

(12 Posts)
Tech (MNHQ) Wed 10-Jun-15 17:14:16

Hi all, does anyone know any way of getting a certified copy of a UK passport while in New York? A bank in Britain wants the certified copy to open an account. The consulate here doesn't offer a certification service apart from in very restricted circumstances to do with tax / the IRS. Local lawyers seem unwilling to do it because under local regulations only the US State Department can issue a certified passport copy, and the lawyers are telling me only the British embassy can do the same for a UK passport (but said embassy won't do so, apart from the IRS exception.) I've tried to explain that it's for use overseas and local limitations/regulations don't apply, but understandably enough the lawyers I've asked so far have declined to do it. Notaries in New York state are not allowed to certify copies.

Has anyone ever run into this before, and if so how did you deal with it? I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go to London and go to a solicitor / accountant there, which seems ridiculous. All suggestions gratefully appreciated....

EldonAve Wed 10-Jun-15 17:20:05

Do you know anyone back home who is a lawyer/IFA? They might be able to certify a copy for you

I have had one certified by our financial advisor before

IvyWall Wed 10-Jun-15 17:28:33

Do you have a photo driving licence? Will the bank accept this instead? Could you get that certified locally?

IvyWall Wed 10-Jun-15 17:33:28

Worst case could you get the passport couriered to the uk and have a uk notary make the certified copy?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 10-Jun-15 22:23:46

I just had to do this from Texas for a UK bank. I had a notary (one of the assistants at dh's work) stamp it and sign a letter saying it was a true copy. It was accepted, no problem.

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 10-Jun-15 22:47:13

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's starting to sound like the simplest thing will be to drive into Pennsylvania (the nearest state where notaries can legally certify copies) and have a notary there certify the copy.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 11-Jun-15 01:02:17

Sorry, didn't read your post properly about ny notaries. Sounds crazy that the UK consulate can't help either.....

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 11-Jun-15 01:14:05

Does the bank have a branch in ny? Can you take your passport in there and have them make a copy?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 11-Jun-15 02:15:29

Don't send your passport to the UK without you! Terrible advice !

Want2bSupermum Thu 11-Jun-15 02:29:58

My passport was photocopied and notorized here in NJ for purchasing and then selling a home back in the UK. PM me if you need more detail but any notary in NJ should suffice. Pop over to Jersey City or Hoboken and get it done.

Tech (MNHQ) Thu 11-Jun-15 19:24:43

Hi, Thanks w2bs for the suggestion. I found a New Jersey notary who's done the copy. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Want2bSupermum Fri 12-Jun-15 01:05:47

Great news. It's a PITA getting it done. Thank goodness we have notaries at work who are registered in NJ rather than NY. Now I know why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now