Advanced search

Applying for a British passport while staying in the UK.

(10 Posts)
dickiedoodah Mon 08-Jun-15 01:19:20

I'm British but a permanent US resident. I'm planning a trip back to the UK with my two children in the next few weeks. My daughter has a US and British passport but my son only has a US one. I was going to wait until we got back to the US to apply for his British passport but I'm wondering if it would be easier to just apply for it while we're there. Has anyone done this?

SavoyCabbage Mon 08-Jun-15 01:33:33

Yes I have although it wasn't a first passport. It was a January when I did it and I had them back in six days. And it's half the cost of doing it from overseas.

You are definitely 'allowed' to if that's what you mean. I wasn't even bothered if the passports were back before we left as they would have just ended up at my mums house.

dickiedoodah Mon 08-Jun-15 13:28:47

Thanks for the reply SavoyCabbage! I think I'll give it a go!

marcopront Mon 08-Jun-15 17:40:13

I used the one day service, dropped the application off in the morning and collected it later that day. This was a renewal though.

cannotseeanend Mon 08-Jun-15 18:34:53

Read up on what passports can and cannot be issued on a one day / express service. Sorry a bit lazy to look up exact rules, but I know they have changed in particular for children's passports.

The online applications are a huge step forward though, harder to mess up now, probably biggest reason left for rejection of application is failing to comply with photograph rules. I did however forget about the rules myself and thankfully someone took pity or missed it because my daughter has a smile on her new passport!

chantico Mon 08-Jun-15 18:45:05

You need to check, very carefully, what visa/waiver(?) your DS would need for his entry to UK on a U.S. Passport, and whether that could cause any problems with his passport application.

It might be worth asking the consulate for advice on that, because it can cause systems to have conniptions as British citizens are not granted visas and it can cause huge delay whilst they sort it out.

A passport costs more if you apply from overseas, but it might be worth doing so before you travel so he can do the usual leave/arrive US on US, enter/depart UK on UK. According to the page today, if he needs a visa it costs $133. And of course, doing it now means one less bit of admin whilst you're here.

dickiedoodah Mon 08-Jun-15 20:25:17

I may end up waiting until we get back to the US to apply for it then. I would need to send his US passport off if I apply for the British one while in the US and it says it will take 10 weeks to process. I'm aiming to be back in the UK early August so don't really want to take the chance of not getting the passport back in time. My understanding is that he can stay in the UK for 90 days on a US passport.

spinoa Mon 08-Jun-15 21:00:21

The US insists that joint citizens enter and leave the US using their US passport.

The UK doesn't really care which passport is used so it is fine to enter with a US passport (filling in landing card, no visa is needed for US citizens staying 90 days). Note however that you will all have to go through the non-EU line if your son is on a US passport.

A child getting their first passport cannot use the premium service (same day collection) but can use fast track (delivery within a week). However both services require appointments at a passport office which need to be made in advance - the first available appointments are usually a couple of weeks ahead, see

They are generally more flexible about children's facial expressions in the passport photos, particularly for young children.

We have never had any issue with DC being in the UK on different passports when applying for UK passports.

Want2bSupermum Sat 13-Jun-15 13:08:54

Some misinformation here. You don't have to go through the non EU lane if your son is the only non EU person in your group. You go through together, through through the shorter lane!

Also no special visas required for a stay of 90 days or less. It's a stamp in your passport and you fill out a form on the plane.

No issues with being a dual citizen. When you apply do the premium service on the same day you arrive and stay for 2 weeks. All will be fine. For renewals you can do the same day service. We went to Liverpool for mine and had a great day out.

Patricia909 Sat 20-Jun-15 20:38:41

There is no same day service for Child renewals. It takes 7 days even through the Fast Track scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now