Talk

Advanced search

Move to Zurich first with new baby. Is it madness? Please help

(13 Posts)
londonmumtobe30 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:32:57

Hi all,
I need a little help with this one. I am due to have my first baby in Oct and potentially move to Zurich in Jan. My husband can transfer with work and both our wages will double. I am scared about this as we need to make a decision now because of his job offer but we don't know what life will be like with a baby yet. I went to see Zurich and I love it I think the work life balance will be much better than we have now and my job would be better. My fear is will I be lonely? I don't speak German and I don't know if it is easy to meet people. We will be leaving friends behind and starting again on our own. This would not bother me normally but now with a little baby on the way I don't know how difficult it will be to get support in a new country. Even just going for coffee with other English speaking mums would be amazing.

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Pinkandpurplehairedlady Sun 07-Jun-15 08:39:50

I lived in Zurich for awhile pre children and there was quite a strong expat community. Most people speak English so you should be fine on that point but if you can get some Language lessons that would help.

londonmumtobe30 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:43:46

Thanks for your response smile
Ya if we decide to go I'm going to get a few lessons. Do you know how to contact expat communities over there?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 07-Jun-15 15:23:28

I've not moved to Zurich but I have moved pregnant and I do think that moving with a baby is the best time. There will be lots of mums and babies groups to join, music, baby gym, massage etc. search for expat groups on Facebook and meetup, there's bound to be loads.

LIZS Sun 07-Jun-15 15:49:43

Dd was born there. There are plenty of expat mums groups of all kinds but you won't get far with local groups unless you learn German and even then the Swiss German dialect is a different ballgame so you would always stand out as an auslander. You don't get much paid ml so don't rely on your income being high and childcare is extortionate with standards rather more relaxed than in UK. Also other costs such as housing, food and obligatory insurance are significantly more. There are yahoo groups Expatmomsinswitzerland and Expatsinzurich which are worth joining for up to date advice from those living there and to network.

londonmumtobe30 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:21:35

Thanks MyFriendsCallMeOh I'l check out facebook smile

londonmumtobe30 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:24:28

Thanks LIZS I'll check out those groups. I will have to learn some German but I was hoping while my German is coming on there might be expat baby groups I could use.

LIZS Sun 07-Jun-15 17:19:54

I would suggest not going before Christmas. November can be damp and gloomy and winter bitterly cold, so you would be less likely to feel able to go out and make new friends. Once the weather improves and your baby a little older it would be easier.

SantiagoSky Wed 10-Jun-15 22:42:40

I moved to Zurich heavily pregnant and gave birth here. It wasn't planned but we decided to stay because of excellent hospitals, accessible public transport, quality of housing, and nice place in general. Salaries are good, but cost of living is higher.

You can expect to pay about 2000-2500 CHF for 5 full days at nursery. Rent will be around 2500 and 3500 CHF depending on size and location.

homegate.ch is the main website to find a house.

I speak German and agree that it makes things easier, but there is a big expat community here with many babies and toddlers.

Quality of life is high and we are very happy here.

TortillaDeMaiz Fri 12-Jun-15 08:37:03

Having a little one is always a nice way to meet people. If you are in the Zurich city centre I would recommend visiting the restaurant in Coop-City in Bahnhofstrasse, there is a children's play area where you can meet other mums (expats and local). We used to visit frequently a Gemeinshafts Zentrum (GZ), there is one in almost every neighborhood (Kreis). The one in Zurich-Affoltern was particularly active with plenty of activities for children all ages. Some other family oriented centres might offer language courses with a creche service, for example the eltern chind zentrum www.zentrumelch.ch/familienzentren-zuerich-elch/

Once you are here you can also try to get an issue of The New Stork Times, www.thestork.ch/ they would include lists of english speaking baby/toddler groups

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 21-Jun-15 19:34:50

Yes there is an Expats in Zurich Facebook group. Also useful is the English Speaking Forum Switzerland website.

Viel Glück!

MehsMum Sun 21-Jun-15 19:39:03

I moved abroad with a tiny baby and we never regretted it: we had a couple of fab years overseas which we look back on with real affection.

whizzbang1 Mon 22-Jun-15 01:18:41

It's fabulous. Do it - you won't regret it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now