Talk

Advanced search

What work benefits do you get for your posting abroad?

(9 Posts)
flowerpowergirl Wed 11-Feb-15 13:13:13

My DH is currently negotiating with his boss who wants to extend our posting to China. So we are considering again all the benefits we have for being here. In theory we should no worse off financially. What do you have or what do you wish you'd asked for?
We have driver & car (not allowed to drive here), private schooling, healthcare, tax accountants for complex tax returns, tax equalising so we don't end up paying more tax through being abroad, culture and language lessons (now finished but will ask for more). Anything else we should ask for? Actually having listed it I already feel pretty pleased with the list!

Saltedcaramellavacake Wed 11-Feb-15 14:22:52

Rent assistance, utility assistance, pollution allowance?

yearofthegoat Wed 11-Feb-15 16:56:17

Flights

atonofwashing Thu 12-Feb-15 12:19:08

I think you have a good package there, but yes flights home at least once a year should be inc.

We are in negotiation at the moment about an overseas posting. I'm concerned abt schools fees as so far they are not included. Nor is rent, but that doesn't bother me, but it would be nice.

What is annual leave like? Could you squeeze any more?

5446 Thu 12-Feb-15 12:49:41

DP has full housing, full medical and dental, 4 flights home a year (which I can also use), food allowance per day equivalent to a typical basket of groceries in that country. He also gets 1 week extra annual leave and tax equalisation.

We don't have DCs but he would also get schooling. Depending on where we are and how desirable the country is to expats, he gets an extra allowance ie when we were in Singapore, he got next to nothing as everyone wanted to go there.

Never had language classes, but could see it being useful in China.

I'd push for flights definitely. It is so nice for me to know I can go home whenever without worrying about it.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 12-Feb-15 14:41:01

I am in China too and our package also includes:
Accommodation paid in full
Utilities paid in full
Internet paid
Ayi paid
Travel allowance

flowerpowergirl Thu 12-Feb-15 14:48:06

Doh! Yes we get flights and housing. Pushing for more flights on basis of elderly parents.
I like the sound of pollution allowance. We def need that here. Shanghaidiva how did you wangle Ayi? Nice move! I pay our Ayi although to be fair it's not much... Ah the expat life!
Thanks all. thanksthanks Gives a bit more for DH to argue about. grin

Alligatorpie Fri 13-Feb-15 23:26:02

SO jealous shanghaidiva, we are also in Shanghai and I pay our ayi 5500 rmb per month!
Love the idea of a pollution allowance, we are starting to have school closures when the AQI reaches 300. sad

OP -We are teachers so get fairly standard perks - housing, flights, medical, schooling...and lunch at school every day. Lol

Saltedcaramellavacake Sat 14-Feb-15 01:44:58

Panasonic pay "pollution allowance"!
www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/13/panasonic-pay-pollution-expatriate-workers-china

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: