Advanced search

Providing a CRB check after having lived abroad

(5 Posts)
Missymoomum Fri 09-Jan-15 02:29:39

A bit of background to my situation first.... I'm a qualified and registered nurse currently living abroad. I 've been here coming up for 4.5 years now and for the last 3 years i have been working as a nurse over here. For many years now i have wanted to convert to Midwifery and put this on hold to move abroad (initially it was a 2 year move). We are now set to leave our current country in the summer and will most likely move back to the UK. I thought i'd start looking around at courses and universities and of course i'll need a CRB check (or DBS check as it's now called) but one of the university's entry requirements states that the applicant needs to have been resident for the last 3 years in order for the check to be made. Does this therefore mean that i'm going to have to wait 3 years after moving back before i'm able to consider applying for the course and even working as a nurse in the UK or does anyone know if they would accept something from my current country of residence? Has anyone had a similar experience of this?

HowsTheSerenity Fri 09-Jan-15 04:19:21

When I moved to the UK I obviously could not provide a CRB but I did provide one for the country where I had been recently. All my employers accepted those. Could you get one from the police in the country you just left?

Alibalibumblebee Fri 09-Jan-15 04:32:28

When my children have gone to study in the Uk they've provided a 'good behaviour' type thing from the police here and its been accepted.

Also, one of my sons carers who came to us from the Uk with an extended CRB and is now going to live and work in Canada provided her soon to be employers with the 'good behaviour' thing from here that my children provide in the Uk. Im calling it a good behaviour thing because its what we call it here and it means the police have no record of you committing a crime.

The job the carer will be doing in Canada is caring for vulnerable adults in a shared accommodation kind of setting and the Canadians were happy with what she's provided them with.

Alibalibumblebee Fri 09-Jan-15 04:34:18

Oh and one of my children was accepted on to a teacher training course with what she was given from here.

Missymoomum Fri 09-Jan-15 04:42:29

Yes i can apparently so that's good to hear that they are accepted. Thanks for your reply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: