Talk

Advanced search

Shout out to all of you living in bushfire areas of Australia...

(17 Posts)
Thumbwitch Tue 06-Jan-15 12:44:21

... especially if any of you are near Adelaide Hills - hope you're all safe thanks

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Jan-15 00:15:55

Just thought I'd bump it now it's daytime here blush

QuickSilverFairy Wed 07-Jan-15 00:20:39

Thinking of all you lovely folks flowers I hope you all are safe..

Archduke Wed 07-Jan-15 06:47:44

Hi there! I'm in the Adel Hills!!! Not particularly near the fires though - although Saturday was hot and smokey and horrible, the kids were pretty scared. Thankfully no one seriously injured and it has just started raining a bit so I'm hoping it will put the last remaining fires out.

Thank sweet baby Jesus for the CFS.

Gautami Wed 07-Jan-15 06:49:36

Nice thread.

We've been worried and thinking about you all, even though we've no particular connections.

praying for more rain. flowers

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Jan-15 07:31:29

Oh Archduke it is scary isn't it? We had our own fears in Oct 2013, when there was a big fire not many km away from us - the ash and the smoke travels so far, doesn't it? DH had been up on the roof of the house and garage, clearing all the dead leaves and debris, thankfully, but it was very worrying!

We're praying for rain everywhere - especially SA, WA and Victoria - but we could do with some here in NSW as well!

Archduke Wed 07-Jan-15 08:05:06

Thanks Thumb, it's SO SCARY! We moved recently to a less vulnerable spot as I was (am) so nervous of fires. As much as I love living here I do sometimes long for a nice damp, mild English summer. It's currently boiling hot and humid with some lightning strikes, am praying that the lightning doesn't start new fires.

I am so full of admiration for the CFS. Such amazing people. Australia does that whole volunteer thing so incredibly well.

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Jan-15 08:11:37

Absolutely. I always donate to our RFS and SES as well.

chloeb2002 Wed 07-Jan-15 19:58:01

Last year we had our first real bush fire after someone torched a car in the state forest behind us. Truely terrifying. Thankful for qfrs who managed evacuations, the helicopters to water bomb, ses who ran the fire lines. Very happy this year we have a bigger fire break wink

echt Wed 07-Jan-15 21:00:13

Good to hear all is well. Not a huge amount going on here in Victoria, though I was shocked to hear of a few cases were fires were set. It's far from unusual, apparently. sad

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Jan-15 21:32:33

echt - absolutely. The spate of fires we had in NSW at the start of last summer were mostly set by, would you believe it, a volunteer for the RFS. shock
They started to get suspicious when he kept being the first on the scene and eventually suspended and charged him.

Bloody shocking - I think arson should carry a jail term equivalent to murder, in all honesty, as there is always the possibility that someone could die in a fire, be it homeowners or firefighters, and the arsonists must know that when they set the fires. Won't happen unfortunately. sad

Archduke Wed 07-Jan-15 22:23:56

Yeah, apparently really common that arsonists join the CFS. Not surprising really when you think about it.

A couple of years ago there was a horrible case of a mum going around starting fires near here - she took her young children in the car with her. Obv she had serious problems but shock. About 2kms from here last year a guy was doing a burn off on a Catastrophic 40+ day - surprise surprise the fire got away from him and burnt out a large area of woodland. He was well known to the CFS and I think he was charged. Bloody idiot.

Thumbwitch Thu 08-Jan-15 11:22:49

Hey Archduke - have you been flooded out now? Honestly, you just can't win eh?

lulalullabye Fri 09-Jan-15 09:08:54

We live in the foothills and the fires were about 30mins from us. The CFS are truky awesome but heck have they been run off their feet. They don't want the rain as it will wash all the ash into the water system and fell trees and make it impossible to drive their trucks. Mother nature is fierce!!!

echt Fri 09-Jan-15 11:00:53

Hope all is well, lulla. We're getting the tail end of that rain right now. Good for the garden in Melbourne, but getting out the heat-tech undies.shock I can see how it can change in a heartbeat. 13 degrees in mid-summer.

lulalullabye Sun 11-Jan-15 09:54:16

It was a cold day yesterday echt but I think everybody quite enjoyed it!

Thumbwitch Sun 11-Jan-15 15:42:25

Good to hear!
It rained over a lot of NSW today - we started the day in Dubbo, where it was raining; and ended it back home, 4.5h away, where it was still raining, and it hadn't let up the whole way home!

Cool/cold days much appreciated at this time of year, tbh. Just as a change. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now