Talk

Advanced search

Residence status in the UK

(8 Posts)
Romeorodriguez Fri 19-Dec-14 01:19:05

My DD is starting to apply to university. We are all keen for her to go to the UK. We have lived out of the UK for a few years. We do however spend over 90 days per year in the UK. How do we prove this for residency?

LIZS Fri 19-Dec-14 08:30:28

Do you pay UK tax ? How many years is a few ?

butterfliesinmytummy Fri 19-Dec-14 13:13:41

I know of people who did this. The fact that they had their primary residence (house that wasn't rented out) and a car in the UK helped. I think they also provided evidence of travel to the UK (boarding passes etc). They were also tax resident. I think you have to be UK resident for 3 years before starting uni, although check this as it might have changed. Best bet is to speak to a uni.

chemenger Fri 19-Dec-14 13:20:38

This is a useful source for determining whether you qualify for home fees:

www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/

Farahilda Fri 19-Dec-14 13:22:43

If you are tax resident, and have supporting documents from your employer that show you are overseas on a defined length posting, then it should be straightforward.

Talk to the universities for the exact requirements.

It's even more straightforward if you are normally resident elsewhere in EU.

Romeorodriguez Fri 19-Dec-14 17:16:35

We have been overseas for 4 years, and we are not in the EU. We do pay tax (on property that is let out in the UK) and have property that we 'live' in when visiting over summer. It is looking unlikely though isn't it?

LIZS Fri 19-Dec-14 17:46:08

If you could demonstrate that she had only been living outside of the UK on a temporary basis as a dependent then maybe. However 4 years ongoing doesn't sound very temporary.

Romeorodriguez Fri 19-Dec-14 18:05:56

Yes, it doesn't sound temporary. I think that we will not qualify as 'home' students. Has anyone actually done this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now