Talk

Advanced search

Ages & Exit Strategies

(10 Posts)
EsmeGruntFuttock Thu 18-Dec-14 08:45:40

Another post got me wondering about this. We talk about the ages of our kids and them being settled for certain stages, but I'm just curious about our ages and how long we plan on living overseas for, what the exit strategy is and where you hope to end up. I guess that will depend if you are on an ex-pat merry go round with your/DP's job.

We're back in the UK but if we don't move again until DCs are through with school I'd be mid 50s. It's not old is it? We're not serial ex-patters. I guess at that point we'd be looking at somewhere we want to settle for the long haul. Has anyone done that at a similar age?

Laptopwieldingharpy Thu 18-Dec-14 08:55:26

I would say that's a great plan! From what I've seen around me ( not yet experienced myself) it will either revive your intimacy and give you a second youth or break your marriage ( because apart from the kids.....etc....).
I see a great majority of very happy 50-60ies couples, busy social lives, healthy lifestyles, all loved up. Am actually kind of looking forward to that stage smile

Hairylegs47 Thu 18-Dec-14 09:06:30

Our exit strategy changes was always get the kids through high school - DH was an expat kid himself, but had to leave Dubai when he was 14. He went straight into 'normal' school where he was bullied mercilessly. The teachers stood by and let it happen as he was ' obviously' lying about wind surfing etc. So we wanted to be sure they were finished high school before we left/leave. Our youngest DD finishes school in 18 months. So far, the plan is get the credit card paid off. If we want to stay on, pay off mortgages while paying for Uni. If we are still here in 5 years, we should've paid off the mortgage and sent them to Uni. But like everything else, it depends on DH not getting bored or laid off. He's only 40, so we could be here long term. He has a pretty rare skill set and degrees mix, so he's pretty sort after.

There are plenty of Expats in their 50s in the Middle East, the only concern is if you go for a new job, the new employer might have trouble getting visas. My DH has been trying to recruit, but the Gov are rejecting anyone over 60, it used to not matter. I think it depends on where you are hoping to go and what the policy is regarding age.

What does your DH do and where have you worked in the past?

PossumPoo Sat 20-Dec-14 11:00:11

Our deadline is DD starting high school. She starts primary next year!

We are in London to save money (probably the only people who claim this!) and work on our careers. DH is doing so well here it's just not sensible to leave. I will be eligible for citizenship in around 18 months so once l have that we'll re-evaluate again.

Having DC makes this lifestyle harder but not impossible. I was desperate for an adventure growing up...hopefully DD appreciates it smile

AggressiveBunting Tue 23-Dec-14 14:07:07

I think we'll move back to the UK when DS goes to high school
(2022) as there isn't much choice of school here- they're fine but not much to differentiate between them. I think Ds will probably board for secondary but I'd rather that was weekly so it wouldn't work for us to stay here. Once the kids go to Uni we'll probably split our time between 2/3 places as DH and I will be retired by then- I'll be 55 when dd is 18.

Isthiscorrect Fri 02-Jan-15 14:16:39

We stayed in the ME for DS to complete 6th form. He is now in first year of uni and we are on our way to a new adventure fingers crossed. I'm hugely looking forward to it. Although I have no idea how I will meet people with no school gate scenarios..

EsmeGruntFuttock Fri 02-Jan-15 18:26:18

Where are you off to isthis and is DS studying in a different country now?

Isthiscorrect Sat 03-Jan-15 09:53:59

DS is back in the UK, his home country and we will be off to BKK, working across Asia, in April if the offer/paperwork stacks up. We are due to receive the offer this week so finger crossed.

AmericasTorturedBrow Tue 06-Jan-15 18:11:08

We just agreed that once DS hits 10/11 wherever we are at that point we will stay until DD finishes school (11yrs). It puts the fear into me but I personally want the DC to have their secondary education in the UK. We are currently in California and while it has so much to offer us I feel like we're just so far away not just from the UK but from Europe and frankly the whole world. DS was 3 when we moved and DD newborn, I want them to understand their own heritage and culture and by then I think I'll be more than ready to be back amongst my tribe.

Our problem is DH never wants to leave and his reasons for staying are entirely practical whereas mine are emotional. But wherever we are during that time I can't imagine DD leaving home and us staying put. Obviously a lot hinges on the health of our parents by then (they'd all be around the 70yrs mark) but in my head at least we bugger off somewhere entirely for at least a few years, before our DC have children of their own

ZamMummyInGabs Mon 12-Jan-15 10:41:16

We are planning to return in August this year or at the latest Aug 2016 so that DS1 (eldest) can do minimum 1yr primary school then on to secondary. We will be going back to SE London & applications for secondary school have to be made a whole year in advance, not sure if that's just a London thing. The DC's have never lived in the UK so we feel it's kind of now or never. Plus DH & I are ready to go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now