Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find other foreign ladies?

(7 Posts)
Littleen Wed 10-Dec-14 15:51:31

I'm feeling rather lonely these days, and I feel there is a culture difference that makes it difficult to become friends with English women. I do have some friends, but with time, we've all spread out, so I don't see them more than a few times every year. I've never had a problem getting to know people back home (Norway) or other foreign women in the UK - it seems to just be the English ones.

Does anyone know where I can meet other Scandinavians or just other foreign women/mums?

Laptopwieldingharpy Thu 11-Dec-14 11:20:14

What you describe is what most expats feel like. It just happens that you are an expat in the UK. Totally normal.
Am British by naturalization and still feel that way in many parts of the UK. The only place I did not feel that way was when we lived in central London. I was an immigrant. Felt very grounded.
Oddly I feel more "British" now that I am overseas as the kids school environment is. It's great as we acquire a lot through them. People overseas root for their comfort zones and become much more intimate than they would be back home surrounded by their usual crowd.
On every posting (especially the hardship ones) the American woman's association is always a good starting. It may sound counterintuitive since you are looking for continental Europeans. But they organize so many events that it overlaps with other groups. And they are always a welcoming bunch.

You can also visit European embassy/consulate websites. They always have links to schools, cultural centers, shopping, Drs, etc......you then open a padora's box with further links to community events,fairs etc, etc.....

Hey oh, it's the 21st century so you have to get online and search!

I saw Norwegian sailor associations in Singapore, Hong Kong & in west Africa. There is no reason you can't find them in the UK!!!

Good luck!

outtolunchagain Thu 11-Dec-14 17:14:02

There is another Norwegian lady on here , who also gets quite homesick , if you start a thread on Norway she will probably pop up!

butterfliesinmytummy Thu 11-Dec-14 21:15:45

Funny you mention it laptop, everywhere I have lived, there has been a super active Scandinavian sailor association or church and really tight knit communities - I was often envious that British expats weren't so easy to find. I would contact your consulate and ask if these exist in your area. Meetup groups and facebook groups are really good too. I also tend to start hobbies in new countries and find this is a really good way to start friendships.

Littleen Fri 12-Dec-14 15:46:51

Great, lots of good suggestions smile Thanks all!

redexpat Sun 21-Dec-14 17:49:11

Have you searched facebook for groups?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 21-Dec-14 17:57:30

I'm Welsh, and found it pretty difficult to make friends when I first moved to England. The English don't seem to have the open door/my house is your house culture that exists in other countries. The English can seem a bit standoffish at times.

My advice would be to either join clubs or get involved in volunteering. Also to be proactive in suggesting trips, coffee, inviting people into your home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now