Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Living down under? What do you miss from the U.K.?

(10 Posts)
japaneseplum Wed 10-Dec-14 05:42:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I don't get people to send me stuff cos the postage is horrendous - but I go back to the UK every year anyway and stock up. grin

• Bisto powder - but I now have a source for that here, AND they do GF gravy powders now (it was all Gravox made with wheat flour to start with)
• Dry stick deodorants for women - there is one here and it's shit. It barely manages half a day, which in the temps you get here just isn't good enough. So I buy about 8-10 sticks of Sure dry stick deodorant (Sure = Rexel here and when I emailed them about it, they said there was "no market" for it hmm)
• antihistamine cream if you like to use it - can't get it here at all, not even on scrip now (not basic stuff like Anthisan, anyway) - there are alternatives though
• underwear - M&S beats the local stuff hands down in style, quality and price
• G&B milk and almond chocolate, although that had also disappeared from the UK last time I was over (Easter) thanks to an almond crop failure, which was devastating for me! blush

I think that's it - there are quite a few places that can get British/European stuff in, it can just be heinously expensive in comparison with buying it in the UK - e.g. Boursin - 80g here costs ~$6, which at current exchange rates is about £3.50, so more than double what it costs in the UK.

Hazchem Wed 10-Dec-14 06:08:38

See I was going to say M&S ready food and the NHS particualry free dental during pregnancy.

You can get almost everything here. Coles has even got waitross heston puddings.
But the exchange rate is the killer or postage. I got some maternity bras off amazon and it cost like 40 pounds to post them. Oh and TX Maxx for bedding. We are in need of new sheets and I think it will cost maybe $400 to get the same quality we get a TXmaxx for maybe 50 pounds.

Snog Wed 10-Dec-14 06:59:59

European Cheese

Oh and new books - sooooo expensive here. There are cut price bookshops, and online bookstores too, but otherwise you can be looking at up to $35 for a new paperback, FFS! I've almost given up buying new books (unless I REALLY REALLY want it) and just buy from the cut price places, or wait until I'm in the UK and get them from Amazon.

Amazon does now exist as amazon.com.au, but only for electronic downloads - MP3s, kindle, that kind of thing. Any actual goods, you have to use either amazon.com or amazon.co.uk (except they won't ship anything other than books, dvds and cds, pretty much); or fishpond.com.au, or bookdepository. Online shopping is improving here steadily, as are the websites, but the delivery varies hugely, some places doing next day, others still taking 4 weeks to deliver.

japaneseplum Wed 10-Dec-14 09:43:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Wed 10-Dec-14 14:11:32

perhaps the Aussies would make them pay tax?

grin - that could well be the case, special!

ninawish Thu 11-Dec-14 11:21:28

I miss M&S undies the most tho they now offer free shipping to Aus - funny I did my Xmas shopping from Aus online and at M&S the stuff to deliver in England I had to pay postage for I think about £10 but the parcels to deliver here in Aus were free which felt odd

I think most foodstuffs can be picked up over here now though English cadburys is limited

books are ridiculous! So exxie it must effect Aussie education long term??? my friend works for a book company in uk and lives here and she said it's an Australian book tax on every book which is very hefty that keeps the price up and amazon away

chloeb2002 Thu 11-Dec-14 18:49:48

These are my favourite threads wink ... Keeps me entertained for a while. Mostly because it tends to imply that one country is better than another.
It's just different.
Not been back to the uk in 8 years. No need .. Books are heavy costs lots to
Send. iTunes. Cheap to download. Book depository free postage if you want hard copies.
From the uk I like prawn cocktail chips. Yum... And I can't get them here without a trip to the English shop.

From Germany it would be nice beer. And cheap bratwurst. I can get bratwurst but not cheap!

Her moline. For a cream with anaesthetic in it. Again., pharmacy online or English shop. Ultimately I'm just too lazy to care now! When in Rome.. Quite happy to live like a roman.
I add on a short trip back to the uk 8 years ago I missed stuff from Aus too grin

If save money posting stuff and save for a holiday over to visit them x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now