Talk

Advanced search

Sending Food Gifts to Australia

(11 Posts)
TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 16-Nov-14 22:08:50

Not sure whether to post this here or in Christmas.

I want to send my lovely friends in Australia typical British Christmas food - Cadbury's selection boxes, crackers, chocolate orange, that sort of thing.

I know that Australia customs don't allow food in but there do seem to be some retailers that ship food there - can anyone explain why this is? Are there exemptions for businesses shipping food there rather than individuals?

Also can anyone recommend any particular online sites for this? British Corner Shop looks to have the biggest selection. Or is there a good company based in Australia that I can order from? There are loads that Google turn up but a recommendation would be lovely.

Many thanks in advance.

NightFallsFast Mon 17-Nov-14 11:08:19

Sending the food that you've mentioned is fine as long as it's declared and it's in the official manufacturer's packaging and sealed. It might melt before it reaches it's destination though. It was 40 degrees here in Queensland last weekend.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 20-Nov-14 09:41:24

Thanks Night, I might give British Corner Shop a go.

dietcokes88 Thu 20-Nov-14 10:25:13

all those things you mentioned are available in supermarkets here! at least 10% of the population is English smile

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 20-Nov-14 12:28:33

I'm sure they are - it's a present, not a food drop. smile

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 20-Nov-14 13:44:14

Sorry I've just re-read my OP and it's a bit confusing. Obviously Australia imports food. grin

What I want to know is the best way/website to send food gifts, given that you can't send food via royal mail (and it would be massively expensive and/or risky e.g. melting as Night mentioned) and the usual online retailers I use to send gifts to Oz e.g. M&S don't send food either.

Bamaluz Thu 20-Nov-14 13:57:58

www.gifts2thedoor.com.au/ does hampers and sweets in Australia. I've never used it but I think it has been recommended here before.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 20-Nov-14 15:53:06

Thanks Bamaluz - that site looks good, if very expensive, bearing in mind that Oz food is dearer than here. Might be an easy solution though,

chloeb2002 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:36:35

I think I would maybe reconsider the choice of your package. Genuinely there would be nothing special about sending English goodies as they are available here. Literally in every supermarket and far cheaper than the prices you will pay for gifts to the door.

I would appreciate things that are hard to get here. Metainium nappy cream, germoline, I'm sue there's stuff they can't get and would love! Harder to get are crisps grinin pickled onion and prawn cocktail although they are slowly coming in.
Maybe to save obey ask what they would like?

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 22-Nov-14 10:11:02

Thanks Chloe but as mentioned I phrased the original question badly. It was - what is a good website for sending food gifts to Australia? Not - what do you think of my present idea? The OP was badly worded and the Cadburys thing is a red herring but I am not gauging people's views on the gift as I know the recipients best.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 22-Nov-14 10:34:22

Sorry Chloe that was a really rude response especially as people have taken the time to reply to MY request. Many apologies flowers

Currently looking to see if a business local to them will deliver.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now