Talk

Advanced search

What can't you get in Canada that you can in the UK

(11 Posts)
upandawayy Sat 15-Nov-14 19:43:54

Hope that title makes sense! I've got two boxes of presents to make up to send to Canada for Christmas, one for a dear friend and one for a close relative. I really want to put treats, preferably food, in them of things you cannot get in Canada.

So far I have got chocolates and biscuits from M&S, sweets from Sainsbury (own label) and coffee which I can't seem to find online available in Canada.

Is there anything else anyone knows of that you can get in the UK and not Canada.

Thanks so much in advance.

EpitomeOfFrump Sat 15-Nov-14 19:56:27

I always have to take penguin biscuits with me when I visit family, and trebor extra strong mints!

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 16-Nov-14 18:37:06

Depends where they are. I'm in Texas and can get absolutely everything from walkers crisps to malt loaf, and then there's Amazon too.... I would maybe ask them or send personalized / homemade gifts

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 16-Nov-14 18:38:06

Oh yes, the only thing I can't get are m&s Percy pigs.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 16-Nov-14 18:45:19

I havent lived in Canada since 1996 but we go back for several weeks every summer. You might be able to get these but I have never seen them!

Any of the M&S sweets as above
Lyles Golden Syrup
Curly Wurlies
Terry's Chocolate Orange
Cadbury's stuff generally
Mushy peas
Pies in a tin

upandawayy Sun 16-Nov-14 20:11:06

Thanks so much everyone. My brother is adamant there's nothing you can't get in Canada but I sort of want to send him a reminder of home.

Epitome I saw penguins once in Toronto and they were about five bucks for a packet!

I have got Percy pigs already weirdly as I was thinking there's no M&S over there. Will definitely get more Cadbury stuff as he likes that and hearts you've reminded me that the friend buys curly wurlies when she comes to visit so I'll get those.

EpitomeOfFrump Sun 16-Nov-14 22:02:25

You can get loads of Cadbury stuff over there now. Last year I took my nephews some of the popping candy jelly bean stuff which went down a storm. I was there a couple of weeks ago and Walmart is now stocking it.
My sister does WW and was talking about her curly wurly treat so I assume you can get them there too.
I can ask them if there is anything they particularly miss or can ask them about availability?

ggirl Sun 16-Nov-14 22:45:54

Decent tea bags. They have horrid orange pekoe tea there.

You can get most things in British shops but I took some of the new types of cadburys choc bars over , they went down well , the ones with sweets in them iykwim.

Bue Wed 19-Nov-14 18:49:49

Friendly newsflash: PG Tips, Typhoo etc are all Orange Pekoe! We just don't call it by the same name here. But it's basically the same stuff.

I'm struggling to think of many food items you can't buy in Canada in any decent-sized city, although a lot of the British imports are very expensive. I bring my mum Maldon sea salt by the crateload when I go home - it's about a third of the price.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 19-Nov-14 19:49:14

Bue - re the tea - I agree! Canadian Tetley tea is every bit as good as it is here. brew

lazydog Fri 21-Nov-14 22:24:22

Out of the list Hearts gave:

"Any of the M&S sweets as above
Lyles Golden Syrup
Curly Wurlies
Terry's Chocolate Orange
Cadbury's stuff generally
Mushy peas
Pies in a tin"

it's only M&S stuff and Frey Bentos pies that I can't buy in my local, arse end of beyond, tiny supermarket in rural BC, so if he lives in a city, I think you're going to be hard pressed to find much he doesn't already have easy access to on his doorstep... Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now