Talk

Advanced search

Would you move to a country with no British embassy?

(10 Posts)
Shlep Sat 15-Nov-14 18:31:15

Just that. The nearest embassy is in Cameroon where we could get consular advice if necessary from, there's one country in between. Is it a problem?

TheDogsMissingBollock Sat 15-Nov-14 18:33:23

Depends where. And on local comms infrastructure etc. and whether you have kids.

Shlep Sat 15-Nov-14 18:49:15

Two kids, Gabon. Can't find much information about comms infrastructure. Will keep looking of course.

Shlep Sat 15-Nov-14 18:51:27

Libreville, in Gabon., I mean.

TheDogsMissingBollock Sat 15-Nov-14 19:43:19

Sorry don't know it. Might consider if good support/package- private health, international school, return flights on BA type airline, sterling salary. Any expat forums you can google for?

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 15-Nov-14 19:47:20

I know that region quite well. I'd move to Gabon. I think there's a honorary consul there isn't there?

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 15-Nov-14 19:49:50

What's your emergency plan if you needed to leave the country in a rush?

alteredimages Sun 16-Nov-14 09:16:52

I would, providing a good support package was in place. I am being a pedant, but technically it is a consulate which would help you out in an emergency. As BlameIt says, there is almost certainly an honourary consul.

FWIW, I live in Egypt and the consulate is completely pointless. You can't get near the place without a full search and leaving your mobile, laptop etc outside. The staff are incredibly rude and their English is heavily accented so not that intelligible. They take ridiculous fees for pieces of paperwork required to get married etc and even in the midst of the 2011 revolution the best they could do when you called their hotline was suggest not going out and offering to book flights which we would pay for. Most other countries were evacuating their nationals at this point, when foreigners were being attacked in the street. Maybe my experience is unusual, but I do feel Brits abroad are pretty much left to sort themselves out anyway.

alteredimages Sun 16-Nov-14 09:18:00

FamiliesShareGerms in my experience expedia is a better bet than the British Consulate.

SolomanDaisy Sun 16-Nov-14 09:25:16

My experience of consular support is that it is virtually pointless. It's not something that's especially helpful in an emergency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now