Talk

Advanced search

Possible move abroad when first baby arrives

(3 Posts)
Poppy2015 Tue 28-Oct-14 10:09:15

Hi, this is my first post but I just wondered if anyone had been through anything similar. My husband is being considered for a great opportunity to South Africa. It would mean leaving our new house (in a new area where we aren't settled yet) and moving abroad next year once our first baby arrives. I'm struggling to think rationally about it as just keep worrying about being so far from home and people being able to visit but I know there would be positives especially for his career and would hopefully mean i wouldn't need to work for a couple of years. Even having a new baby feels like such a big unknown to me let alone going abroad to live. If anyone has done anything similar (or been through the consideration process) I'd love to hear from you.

SolomanDaisy Thu 30-Oct-14 21:27:42

I moved abroad when DS was eight weeks. I was so shell shocked from having a baby that it didn't seem as massive as it would have at another time. But it isn't an ideal time to move really. Do you know anyone there?

chloeb2002 Thu 30-Oct-14 23:17:41

I think it's harder with a first baby. Not impossible tho!
You will need to be resourceful and ensure that you find a network of friends and support people. wink
At least you will have no preconceptions about raising a child in the UK rather than overseas. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now