We are leaving our expat posting and not "leaving well".

(10 Posts)
ilovecrunchies Mon 23-Jun-14 02:14:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
captainproton Mon 23-Jun-14 03:09:30

Sometimes life throws something like this your way. When you think the world is fair and just and it turns out the bad guy wins in the end.

I think there is nothing you can do about it, and instead of choosing to see it as losing 2500 why not see it as, 'we managed to get 2500 back from the bastard.'

It's shit but you have so much to occupy your mind with, so don't let it ruin your move back to UK.

CluelessCrapParent Mon 23-Jun-14 05:41:49

We had similar landlord issues when we left Dubai few years ago, lost about £5k of deposit money, and company did not pay us a penny back despite saying that we would not be out of pocket due to the move. There was nothing we could do, possession of the money is 90% of the law.

When we moved within KL just before Christmas, we had long and protracted correspondences with the LL where legal action was threaten, it was very stressful and ultimately we lost a few thousand pounds again. But at least we have drawn a line under it, but I have kept all the paperwork in case it comes back again.

The only way I make peace with it is to write them off as "expat expenses" which are part of the risk of being an expat in rented accommodation.

When we come to leave this apartment in KL, and the LL has £6.5k deposit/security money, I'm seriously thinking of giving the 2 months notice, stopping the standing order for the monthly rent (£2.5k), not do the repaint/patch up/cleaning etc., and just let them deduct the lot from the deposit (rent included)....and just walk away from whatever is left.

This seems a better option than paying all the rent and repairs and then trying to get the deposit back and the likely scenario of the LL rejecting the repairs (and redoing again anyway).

FellReturneth Mon 23-Jun-14 06:01:52

I live in the middle east and I worry about things like this - it seems the very rich and powerful compound owners can just do as they please and we have very few rights in law. Decent affordable housing in the right areas is always in high demand so they just don't care. One out, another one in, and so it goes. We have to hand over 12 months worth of pre-signed pre-dated cheques in one go, and it's illegal to stop them if you have an issue with the landlord!

Ours has started stipulating that certain things can no longer be done, but they are not mentioned in the contract. Also we were told we had certain shared facilities that have now been withdrawn, nothing much we can do about it. The security guards don't allow us access to something we were previously told (verbally, when we were shown the villa) we could have access to. Things that did come free, (such as the use of certain clubhouse facilities) are now chargeable, and really bloody expensive, but again, the wording of the contract is ambiguous so there's nothing we can do.

They have made it clear that if tenants do not comply then they will not be allowed to renew next year. You can waste precious time and mental energy and more money trying to fight it, or just let it go.

One thing you CAN do is to go onto all of the expat forums and websites and name and shame the landlord. Tell people asking for advice about where to live that this is the kind of thing they can expect if they go with a certain company. It's not going to get you your money back but it will at least make you feel a bit better.

I hope your DH manages to get your money back though - 2.5k is an awful lot to just write off. Good luck.

ilovecrunchies Mon 23-Jun-14 06:16:02

ilovecrunchies Mon 23-Jun-14 06:17:01

FellReturneth Mon 23-Jun-14 06:25:23

I really wouldn't worry about that if you are already back in the UK, how is he going to get to you or find you to sue you?

If you are speaking the truth and he has withheld your money without just cause (even if it's somehow justified in the small print of an ambiguous contract, and it sounds as though it isn't) then you are just stating the truth. I don't see how stating the truth can be considered defamation, although obviously you should exercise caution about how you say what you say, keep it factual, non-abusive etc. But any perceived 'attack' would be on his business/the service he offers, not on him as a private individual.

Advertisement

ilovecrunchies Mon 23-Jun-14 06:34:45

FellReturneth Mon 23-Jun-14 07:41:49

Sorry, that wasn't clear, I know you are stlll there now, I just meant post on the forums once you get home.

You could always resort to slashing his tyres in the dead or night…..grin

TerrorAustralis Tue 24-Jun-14 13:50:37

ilovecrunchies I live in fear of this. We have a lovely landlady, but we're moving because we don't like the location. I was just saying to my DH tonight I'm worried about who we might end up renting from next.

If you're on the SEW Facebook page I would name and shame. The group is closed, so he shouldn't be able to find out. Consider it a community service announcement. You could give a general address (condo name) and ask anyone thinking of moving in to message you, so you can give them your old apartment number and tell them to avoid it.

Other than that I would encourage you not to let this become all-consuming and try to focus on what the good things have been about being here. Easy said, I know.

On the bright side, next week you'll be drinking reasonably priced wine!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in