Anyone ever moved to a different State after being granted a State Nominated Visa for Australia?

(17 Posts)
ODearMe Mon 26-May-14 22:52:32

Just wondering as we have read there is no legal obligation to remain in the nominated state.

If you did move, were there any repercussions (eg getting a job, getting your child into a school) or was it absolutely ok.

Just curious.


OP’s posts: |
chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 00:34:12

Friends did. I think you have to do 2 years for your nominated state. Our friends did 2 years in tassie. Then moved up to qld. This was always there plan as they have family in brissy. Couldn't get in otherwise. I'm fairly sure there is an obligation to remain for a set time, they wouldn't offer you residency otherwise as it's dependant on state shortages.

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 06:07:01

Thanks Chloe. What do you think would happen if you did not do the two years in sponsoring state?

OP’s posts: |
Hazchem Tue 27-May-14 06:13:59

The immigration site says the restrictions can be placed on your visa by the state so you need to check with the issuing state if you are allowed to move outside of it.

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 07:30:31

Hello, thanks for posting. We understand what these restrictions are-the reason we are asking if it is legally ok to live in another state is because our agent has reassured us it is fine. However, I'm concerned she is just after her fee because we will have to sign a document directly with the state to confirm we will live there for 2 years.
We have what the agent said in writing so now my husband, who is desperate to live in this other state wants to override the system, but I am very uncertain about this.

OP’s posts: |
Hazchem Tue 27-May-14 08:31:42

Migrations agents regularly get stuff wrong so please contact the state directly ask them as they are your sponsor. Why are you applying for a state you don't want to live in?

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 08:40:12

We didn't get into the state we wanted so were told by the agent this would be the way in (to apply for another state) and live where we choose

OP’s posts: |


Hazchem Tue 27-May-14 08:50:49

Fair enough. I'd contact your state and ask. Do you know why the other state didn't accept you? I just worry if it's occupation based you might not find the work you want if you head to the state that would sponsor you. Are you watching the budget coverage at the moment?

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 08:55:13

Hazchem - a very good point about there being a shortage of DH's occupation in the state we didn't get into. His theory is that if we just get in, then we don have to go for 5 years anyway-in which case his job may be available. No am not watching budget, will have a look. Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 09:34:31

Of you do not continue to reside the nominated state for the required length of time means your visa is cancelled. Simple. Sorry. Migration agents are a total waste of hot air. Visas are very simple to do yourself.
In your expression of interest, you can indicate your interest in just one state or territory, or you can choose to be available to all of them. If you accept a nomination, the states and territories may require you to:

live in the nominating state or territory for a specified minimum time
tell the state or territory your address, both before and after you arrive in Australia
be prepared to complete surveys and providing other post-arrival information they ask for
meet any of their other requirements.
The immi web site.

Hazchem Tue 27-May-14 10:03:22

If he is happy to wait in the UK for 5 years why not do the two year stint in the state then move.

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 12:26:37

Thanks all. The idea of us going there is to trial it for 2 years, not necessarily emigrate. So we want to be in out preferred place. This visa process has taught us this is not so simple!

OP’s posts: |
chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 20:05:26

Is there a reason your are so set on one state?

chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 20:06:24

And if your going for just a couple of years get a 457 ?

ODearMe Tue 27-May-14 20:30:12

With a 457 visa there is no security if an employer was to terminate your contract- you would have to leave the country in less than a month. Plus, if you wanted to stay on you wouldn't be able to.
We have a preference as DH's sister lives there, we have friends there and we have been all over Australia and love it there.

OP’s posts: |
chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 21:02:07

A sister can sponsor you too.
457 are fine as long as you intend to work. Most people come over on one first. We certainly did. 2 years isn't long to decide if you like living here! It's quite straight forward to change employers if you need to on a 457. There's lots of horror "potential" tales out there but very few people actually have any problems on one. Employer can sponsor you after 2 years with no obligation to stay with the company. Dh was sponsored for pr. left two months after.. Left for a year to opposition.. Then went back to original company when they agreed to pay more!
Otherwise suck up another state for two years.. You may even like it more than you think! I know my friends loved tassie! Ironically they moved up to qld to be near there family.. 12 months on the rest of the family moved back to Blighty! confused
They are stil in qld!

chloeb2002 Tue 27-May-14 21:04:04

Oh and 457 are frequently rolled on again if for some reason you don't qualify for pr. most employers are happy to sponsor for pr however!grin Then it's free for you. We did our ourself. The company have us 5k to get it done. So it paid for everything..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in