Advanced search

urgent info needed re living in Sydney

(27 Posts)
DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 09:28:57

A friend has to consider work options and only has a week to decide. One of the placements is Sydney. They are a gay couple, not married. The partner who hasnt got the job is English. How long could he stay and would he get a permit for voluntary or paid work. Would it make a difference if they were married?


DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 10:03:04


DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 11:35:04


blahblahlala Thu 22-May-14 12:22:03

Have a look at the website and british expats

Will depend on what visa the worker is on and how long the relationship has been going/lived together.

Gay marriage hasn't happened here yet and is highly unlikely under the current shower. But any defacto relationship where you can prove cohabitation for at lease two years makes you a partner in their terms.

They should look at moving to Newtown.

Sorry not very coherent have to go to bed now

DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 13:06:27

Thats a great start, thanks so much.

DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 17:21:14


DelGirl Thu 22-May-14 21:08:32

Anyone up yet?

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:02:45


cjdamoo Fri 23-May-14 03:07:21

If they have been living together for 2 plus years she shoud get defecto visa which would allow her to work if not depending on age look at working holiday visa

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:17:33

Thats good to read thanks. Yes together for 8 years or more. Not sure what visa the working partner will be on but its a 3 or 4 year foreign embassy posting

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:20:44

How long would the working holiday visa last do you know?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 23-May-14 03:21:21

It's hard for any of us to tell you, because it's complicated. The visa type makes a huge difference. If it's a foreign embassy posting, I'd expect the person who is offered the job to have access to this sort of information?

Same sex unions are recognised as de facto over here, with the same rights as a hetero couple, but gay marriage doesn't yet exist, so that bit's not an issue.

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:29:10

Yes I'm just trying to help as the time issue is rediculous and there are 4 placements to consider with a week to decide! With a commute they barely have the time. Thanks, this info will help.

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:29:47

I think the working holiday visa is a year.

So the working partner need a visa as well? His partner obviously does, being English. If the working partner needs a visa, then it complicates it further but as has been said, they will be considered as a de facto couple.
Usually if the working partner needs a visa then their sponsorship is from their employer; but the employer is unlikely to sponsor the partner to work as well, and the partner's visa would be dependent on the working partner's visa, so if he lost his job, they would both have to leave.

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:36:13

I think this will answer the questions:

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:37:25

IF the job is on an employer sponsored visa, so long as the working partner includes his de facto partner on that visa as family (de facto partners are accepted) then he will also be able to work while in Australia.

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:38:58

The working partner is Italian, not sure if he needs a visa or not as he's a diplomat. He may already have this info by now but said I would ask. Its crazy that they only have a week to make such a huge decision!

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:39:32

Just to be even clearer, this is the relevant section:

This information is for people who have already been granted an Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186). It explains your rights and obligations.

What this visa lets you do
This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:

• stay in Australia indefinitely
work and study in Australia
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:40:25

Ah. Diplomat could make it harder again - surely the embassy should be able to clear that up thought?! You'd think they'd know this stuff...

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:41:22

I meant to highlight the "and family members" in that post but it seems it's somewhat irrelevant in your friends' case - might be useful for anyone else reading though.

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:41:25

Thanks so much for this smile

DelGirl Fri 23-May-14 03:42:37

Yes you would think so! Know I mean.

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:47:16

Try this one as well - I can't see that it explicitly states that partners of consular officers can work, nor that they can't - but they do need to be included on the visa, or they'll have to get their own.

Hazchem Fri 23-May-14 03:49:55

I think quick turn around times are the norm for diplomatic postings.
He should really phone Australia house and find out. He cna then talk thought the diplomatic visa options including the spousal visa because a regular spousal visa can take 7 months . He should have assistance form his employer however.

Thumbwitch Fri 23-May-14 03:57:17

The diplomat should also phone his own people and ask them whether or not they have included his partner on their submission for diplomatic visa to Australia - because if they haven't, then the partner will have to get a separate one = bad move, as Hazchem says, it can take several months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now