Talk

Advanced search

Overseas laws on divorce and children

(9 Posts)
babybarrister Sun 16-Feb-14 17:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lavenderhoney Sun 16-Feb-14 22:50:48

Splitting up whilst abroad is a very high risk strategy in some countries and is best left to your amicable return to the UK for a holiday, and you just don't fly back, and file for divorce from your home country. Be careful about them getting in first and filing from a country which may not be in your best interest.

People usually think it won't happen to them, but it can and it does. Don't let it be you.

SouthernHippyChick Mon 17-Feb-14 10:28:19

Indeed! Totally agree, OP. should be banner at the top of this page/Wanted Down under type programmes etc.
Not just Muslim countries but anywhere that's signed up to the Hague Convention ie many of them.

Living Mon 17-Feb-14 20:26:45

Whilst I agree with the general principle, that website's out of date for the Muslim country I live in. country of nationality determines custody not SharI'ah (although never sure whose nationality!)

Lavenderhoney Mon 17-Feb-14 22:02:13

It is a fact of expat life that one partner may enjoy life in the new country more than the other and prefer to stay. The general " lets do 2-5 years" here is a nice idea, but the reality is that persons is building a career and might not want to return home for whatever reason.

Its fine if you both feel that way. But with the pull of family and friends plus aging parents and the reality of bringing your dc up away from your own culture - it could bring its own problems. It is prudent to maintain an escape route..

babybarrister Tue 18-Feb-14 07:53:25

Living Tue 18-Feb-14 18:47:36

will do when a get a second. massive gap in the market for expatriate family lawyers here.

babybarrister Tue 18-Feb-14 19:13:42

SouthernHippyChick Tue 18-Feb-14 19:14:19

And here! Not ME

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now