Armenia?!

(8 Posts)
Dovahkiin Sat 28-Dec-13 02:38:39

DH and I have lived in several countries over the past few years and love the nomadic lifestyle but we now have a 14 month old DD to consider. An opportunity has come up in Armenia - 90 minutes outside Yerevan. Does anyone have any insights on whether this would be a sensible move for a little one? I've read lots of blogs but they tend to be young Americans moving to Yerevan, nothing from people with families.

OP’s posts: |
arfishy Sat 28-Dec-13 03:54:06

I've no experience of Armenia itself but I have worked with a couple of Armenians and they are lovely people. Very proud of Armenia and its heritage and there are so many famous Armenians - Cher, Andre Aggassi, Garry Kasparov, Kim K grin.

I hear that it's very crime-free for expats but is quite Eastern European still. I hope that somebody with actual experience comes along.

Dovahkiin Sun 29-Dec-13 13:38:27

Thanks, arfishy Not many Armenians out there, it seems smile

SongYee Sun 29-Dec-13 16:22:16

Don't suppose you're talking about Dilijan??

Dovahkiin Mon 30-Dec-13 05:28:08

I am! Can you help me out?!

SongYee Mon 30-Dec-13 14:44:32

Sadly I don't know too much about it. Very sorry to get your hopes up! Looks like DH's colleague is going to be working there from next August, and we investigated too but the department DH works in won't be set up till 2015. But it's somewhere I'd love to go in the future, it looks totally beautiful.

At a guess I'd say that with the new school being established it will become a much more family friendly place. Have you checked out sites like Internations etc?

We're also living the nomadic lifestyle and trying to figure out where to go next!

Dovahkiin Fri 31-Jan-14 05:00:41

Thanks for the advice. In the end, we decided it was a step too far - as well as being based in a major earthquake zone, and on less money than currently. instead, heading back to the UK. x

Advertisement

Bubblegoose Sat 01-Feb-14 08:31:31

My friend just took a job in Dilijan (must be the same place you're all talking about!). Am really interested to see how he gets on. It looks a bit remote.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in