Do I need medical insurance re trip to UK?

(10 Posts)
space21 Fri 22-Nov-13 09:31:19

I live in France and I'm visiting relatives for a month with my two small DC. Since the kids are small I am curious as to what I would need to do if I needed a doctor or hospital.
Of course I would just go but to make any treatment / prescriptions easier do I need any medical insurance or similar? Or would it be free?
We all have British passports just no fixed UK address.

OP’s posts: |
FatOwl Fri 22-Nov-13 13:05:41

We have worldwide insurance, but it has quite a high excess.
When I was in the UK staying with Mum I took dd to the drs with an ear infection. They registered us as a temp resident, asked our GP details, and I was honest, that we have not lived in the UK for four years (at that time), but gave the details of the GP I was last registered at.

They were quite happy with that and never heard anything else.

Arohaitis Fri 22-Nov-13 13:14:46

Maybe you need the equivalent of a French E111 (is it still called that?)

sorry for the very unhelpful post

I'm pretty sure that just having a UK passport doesn't get you free healthcare.

On second thoughts maybe because it would be an emergency and it is all free at point of care in the UK with no supplement/user pays/ etc etc anytime you went would be an emergency so you don't need anything

this must be one of the least helpful posts ever.

enjoy your holiday grin

Arohaitis Fri 22-Nov-13 13:15:22

Sorry I had intended to add sorry after the least helpful comment

JoinYourPlayfellows Fri 22-Nov-13 13:16:48

There should be a form you get so you are covered under EU healthcare agreements.

mousmous Fri 22-Nov-13 13:22:24

you need an ehic (european health insurance card) - might be part of your normal health insurance card - for each person.

in addition you need travel insurance. make sure it covers repatriation (had the issue in the summer with a relative who was not covered for this after a broken leg. look ages and ££,£££ to sort out). automobile associations are usually good for this.

AuntieStella Fri 22-Nov-13 13:23:03

You need an EHIC, which will give you access to NHS on the same footing as a UK resident.

It does not however cover things like repatriation, so you might want insurance as well. For travel within Europe, for holders of EHICs, it won't be expensive.


SolomanDaisy Fri 22-Nov-13 13:24:14

EHIC and travel insurance, unless you have been out of the UK for less than a year.

space21 Fri 22-Nov-13 13:34:23

Thanks for your responses - think I will ask at the local pharmacy.

OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Fri 22-Nov-13 22:52:06

yes, you need an EHIC AND travel insurance. If (hope not) one of you needs lengthy hospitalisation or repatriation, you are not entitled to free treatment on the NHS because you don't live in the UK.

passport irrelevant.

yes, the ambulance will pick you up for free but more treatment will cost.

travel insurance will be just a few Euros.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in