Speeding tickets on French motorways?

(5 Posts)
Kendodd Thu 22-Aug-13 10:31:08

Yes I am prepared for my flaming, I know I should drive within the speed limit.

Anyway, on holiday in France, I'm sure I was clocked by a speed camera (more than once blush) What will happen? Will I they just send a fine to my home address in the UK? How much is it? Will I get points on my UK licence? I have a Tag for motorway charges if that's relevant.

I have also posted in legal matters.

OP’s posts: |
peppersquint Fri 23-Aug-13 11:41:30

If you were driving in UK registered car then highly unlikely you will get anything. If it was a French registered hire car then the police will pursue through the carhire company. If you get fined (and it is possible) it depends on what speed you were doing - eg: if you were doing 70kmph in a 30kmph zone it would be different than if you were just a few kms over the limit. If the percentage that you are over the limit is greater than 10 km( I think) the fine and points are higher and in some cases can lead to imprisonmenta nd immediate suspension of licence. This is more of a worry if you are clocked by gendarmes with their hand-held devices as they will trap you and chase you and take car then and there if you are really going too fast.

peppersquint Fri 23-Aug-13 11:42:26

To add the general (less than 10km over limit) fine is (if I remember around 90 euros

LillyNotOfTheValley Thu 29-Aug-13 15:06:00

I think you are going to be safe.

France enacted a european directive making sanctions possible even for non French drivers very recently. BUT you will be happy to know that our legal system requires some amendments and France still has to sign a convention with the UK on that matter for the system to work...

FYI Above 110 km/h they take off 7km/h from your recorded speed (so if you were driving at 115km/h on a road limited to 110, you are fine)

tb Tue 17-Sep-13 18:06:49

Also, if you're in a hire car, there will be an administration charge of €25 on top of the fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in