Talk

Advanced search

SAiS Singapore

(12 Posts)
Sciencemum80 Tue 21-May-13 19:50:04

Hi,

Really sorry as I know this has been posted before but I'm struggling to find actual replies.

Been lurking here for a while but just found out a couple of weeks ago that we are definitely moving to Singapore end of July and very excited. After endless web searching we have decided to put DS (3) into Pre-K at SAIS as it looks great facility-wise, has good reviews and I like the daily mandarin. However I can't find any posts from British families with kids there and am a little anxious as to how Brits find it education-wise compared to British curriculum schools. Just really hoping we have made the right decision as feels a little strange picking a school without actually going there but we had no choice if we wanted him to start August and I really think he would benefit now from being in a 'big-school' setting.

Thank you so much in advance!

MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 22-May-13 07:23:15

you need to find pupsiecola's posts!
x

Sciencemum80 Wed 22-May-13 12:28:14

Done! Many thanks x

pupsiecola Wed 22-May-13 14:45:22

I still check this board. Decided not to post on this thread. I would/could never recommend SAIS due to my own experience, but plenty of ppl rave about it. Very much depends if your child fits their very exacting role. And of course you don't know til they start.

We are now back in the UK. Can you believe the ppl we are renting from are moving to Singapore and SAIS is fine of their only options due to long wait lists!

Sciencemum80 Wed 22-May-13 16:54:26

Hi Pupsiecola, thanks for posting. Searched your threads and was able to gather the experience you had with your children there, really sorry to hear that. I guess we'll have to just wait and see but he is very young so hoping things aren't too demanding in Pre-k. We will tour other schools once there to see if we want to join the wait lists for Kindergarten. Hope you are all happy and settled back in the UK!

SaisMum Wed 22-May-13 17:08:32

We are a British family at SAIS, and we are delighted with the school. It is quite demanding - academically, but also behaviour standards, sport, drama (proper competitive teams & tryouts from grade2/UK yr3). But I think that is likely to be less of an issue for tiny ones!

The school is big, but the pre-K area is separate and has its own play area. And the campus itself is amazing, I had looked at many of the schools in Singapore as well as some pretty good independent schools in the UK and I have never seen anything like it!

The culture is quite international, which we like - may 10-15% Brits, half from N America then a good mix. I think they try to get the same national mix of teaching staff as amongst the pupils. Obviously it is predominantly US in terms of the feel of the place, but the curriculum is IB with a real focus on maths, which we were attracted to. And we love the IB, the kids find it really engaging, and the school pushes the maths & spelling, which I think is sometimes seen as a weakness of the IB. I have one eye on the British curriculum but am happy my children are covering the essentials and more. And the daily mandarin is great, my son has little chats with the taxi drivers here smile

Overall, the school markets itself well but in our experience, lives up to it. The staff seem dedicated and happy, and the children do too. Choosing a school is a very personal thing, but we have been really pleased with our choice.

Good luck with the move!

pupsiecola Wed 22-May-13 18:14:36

Thx Sciencemum. Boys have been at new school for just over a week. Had parents' afternoon yesterday and they are both doing very well. They have settled in well and have lots of friends. DS2 does need some extra support with maths, but they don't think there is anything to worry about at all, in fact they were shocked when I told them how SAIS have treated him (didn't tell them anything beforehand as wanted them to make their own minds up). It's really affected him. We drove past a Ford dealer today and said he hates that word. Didn't know what he meant so I asked him. He said Ford reminds him of Stamford.

DS1 did fit the mould and was fine there. I still wouldn't recommend it though and from what I understand I am not alone.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sciencemum80 Wed 22-May-13 20:34:26

Thanks so much for replying Saismum. Great to hear that you're really happy with the school and especially regarding the academics. That's brilliant that your son is doing well with the mandarin smile. Languages are very important to us and that it one of the things that attracted us to the school. We're really looking forward to seeing the campus as it does look amazing and we hope it'll be a positive experience for our little boy.

Pupsiecola - great to hear that your children have settled so well into their new school and that your DS2 is being looked after. Thank you for your honestly regarding your experience, I appreciate all the feedback I can get on the school - we'll see how DS1 gets on in August. We are all very excited about the move though and embarking on our own little adventure as a family.

pupsiecola Wed 22-May-13 22:04:18

Hope I've not put you off. Hard not to feels cross at the school but I sincerely hope your ds enjoys school and that you all have a fun adventure!

MasterOfTheYoniverse Thu 23-May-13 00:57:06

Hi Pupsie, really glad to hear the boys are happy and settled.
We had a similarly traumatizing experience this year. DS moved to a smaller school for term 3 and its shocking how the situation turned for the best literally overnight!
xoxo

pupsiecola Thu 23-May-13 09:38:56

Where are you Master? It is an amazing feeling when school worries don't dampen every single day of your life. I don't know how I didn't slap the Head of Elementary when she looked me in the eye and told me we are in denial about Tom having a learning disability. And yet they had been punishing him for not producing enough work. Then there was the time when I watched him in Mandarin for 10 minutes and saw the teacher slap his hand away from the white board twice, harshly, cos he couldn't put the words in the right order. Oh, and once we decided to pull him out his class teacher emailed me to say he was doing so well, and two days before that he came home with a merit award!! I do believe most of the teachers are very good. But the Head of Elementary is awful and the Head never even responded to my emails!! The schools is growing too fast and adding to much to the curriculum. Taught me a lasson about being seduced by all singing all dancing campuses and iPads for every student! Boys are so much happier in small provincial school. But at a cost. Our relo out and back were self funded and we will only see DH a week or two a month til Christmas. Plus paying rent on condo there and house here but omfg coming back was so right.So glad things are working out for you.

pupsiecola Thu 23-May-13 10:06:21

Just out of interest saismum are you a teacher at the school? I think I've just figures out who you are...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now