Talk

Advanced search

Hey, Californiafrau! (and others with German connections)

(22 Posts)
JanH Tue 23-May-06 13:36:41

Whole section about Germany in the Guardian's G2 today

UglySister Tue 23-May-06 18:49:15

Oh no, it is too late in teh day to send sb out for a copy!

JanH Tue 23-May-06 19:25:43

sb? What? Where are you? Tesco opens late and should still have one!

UglySister Tue 23-May-06 19:49:11

I´m abroad and can´t ask the family in UK to go out now I´m telling myself I wouldn`t have time to read it anyway...

JanH, do you know where the square brackets that you need for MS emoticons are on the German keyboard?

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:04:35

Oh noooo, no idea, I am sorry

There are others on here in Germany, I bet they have German keyboards, you could start a new thread to ask?

I'm guessing you can't read my link? Tell you what, DH is out atm playing football with DSs, when he gets back I'll send him round to Tesco's on the offchance (or the newsagent, they're open late too ) (I can't go, have had too much wine )

Californifrau Tue 23-May-06 20:08:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

franke Tue 23-May-06 20:09:32

<US on my keyboard it's Alt Gr 8 or 9>

JanH, I got half way through the article about the German sense of humour this morning and gave up - far too analytical, although I liked the joke about the German child who wouldn't speak until they were 17. I expected to be enlightened, but it was all too long-winded. Might have a peep at the other bits though.

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:11:47

You can get a nice thin airmail international version, Cf dear - I had a subscription in NY 25 yrs ago - mind you that was before the wonderful www, can't you see my link either? There is a paid sub internet version you can get though?

God I would go nuts abroad without access to any UK papers!

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:13:38

Oh, I liked the Strangers in a Strange Land piece about old ladies etc, franke (esp after reading the thread last week, did you see that?) - didn't look at the SOH one

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:15:33

eg "Together, my wife Phoebe and I decided to explore the Grunewald, the vast, leafy wood in the west of Berlin, with our two small children. Sitting in front of us on the 218 bus was an old lady. The kids began singing. Within seconds, the old lady had exploded. "This is disgraceful. Why can't you shut your children up?" she raged, appealing to her fellow-passengers for moral support."

or

"Germany's legendary reputation for bureaucracy is, though it pains me to say it, deserved. In a nature park east of Berlin, we stumbled across two otters - Sid and Doris - living in separate pens fenced off with giant green spikes. "Why can't they live together and have little otters?" I asked Sid and Doris's keeper. "Ah, that's a good question," the keeper replied. "We haven't got Zuchtgenehmigung [breeding permission]," he said. Until some bureaucrat stamped their form, the otters were condemned to a life of lonely isolation."

Californifrau Tue 23-May-06 20:19:44

Californifrau Tue 23-May-06 20:21:11

franke Tue 23-May-06 20:21:14

That's all very well JanH - you just have to read about it, I have to live it! Those b$%&/y oldies - always criticising my parenting methods, like I should give a toss what they think. Everyday I get told off by someone, it becomes quite wearing.

But seriously, yes I did like that piece, he sums up the feelings you get here very well. I thought the thing about talking in the sauna was particularly apposite - there is a way of doing things and you must adhere to it. Oh and the nudity. We have a naked man living near us. He's walked around naked for years and years and is tolerated by the local community. I don't see him that often - usually the coldest day of the year. He has a very ruddy complexion.

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:25:08

All over, franke?

Hang on, you are in Germany and you could read it? Is UglySister somewhere else then? US, do you want me to try to find a paper for you?

Cf, glad you could read it after all - are there no restrictions in the US then? That's fab. Hope the old lady piece made you feel even better about not being there!

JanH Tue 23-May-06 20:26:11

Oops...

first US = UglySister.

second US = America.

Hope that was quite clear!

foundintranslation Tue 23-May-06 20:44:08

UglySister - they're on the 8 and 9 keys - you hold down the Alt Gr key. HTH

UglySister Tue 23-May-06 21:37:41

Pls never mix me up with the US ; ) I have nothing to do with them!!!

Thanks Found in Translation I am really pleased to finally know where they are.. I will soon be fully emotional and literate MNer!

JanH, just realised to my shame that the link goes to the WHOLE article - am so used to getting just bits and pieces of the G2 online. Thanks for that!

JanH Tue 23-May-06 21:39:20

Oh, you could read the whole thing, US? That's great!

SSSandy Wed 24-May-06 09:52:15

Shame I missed it, now the link has updated and the articles are gone

JanH Wed 24-May-06 11:09:11

I have got the paper, SSS, so I can search for the articles and link to them directly - Guardian search isn't working atm but will try again later

SSSandy Wed 24-May-06 11:10:40

Thanks Jan, that's sweet of you I read the first one about little old ladies in Grunewald but didn't get to the rest.

JanH Wed 24-May-06 12:53:36

Oo-er - search is working now but it's not finding any of the German articles...maybe they haven't been archived? Will try again later on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: