Talk

Advanced search

Eligible for maternity benefits when I move back to UK if I've been working abroad (in the US) ?

(5 Posts)
AlohaMama Mon 20-May-13 07:18:31

I'm guessing the answer is no, but was hoping someone else may have been in the same situation and have some advice. I've been living in the US for 4.5 years, and will be moving back this summer. I will be coming back with my dh, ds and dd, who will only be 6-8 weeks old (we're all British). I've been working all the time since being here but when I get back to the UK, I won't be in a position to work with a newborn. I am assuming that I won't qualify for even maternity allowance as I won't have been working in the UK. And presumably I won't qualify for JSA as I won't really be wanting to look for a job till dd is at least a little bit older. Does anyone know if I'd be eligible for any kind of help, or only if we're low income as a family (unlikely as dh is continuing his self-employed consultancy business). Can I at least get help with NI contributions or would I have to pay those myself too? Just trying to work it all out - it's not like I haven't been working and paying taxes, just not in the UK. I know the UK and US are supposed to have some kind of social security agreement but I'm not sure that is relevant to this or not. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

lougle Mon 20-May-13 07:22:31

I think the only things you would be entitled to are child benefit and tax credits, if your income is low enough as a household.

scaevola Mon 20-May-13 07:22:40

You can claim Child Benefit from your arrival in UK, and this will bring the claimant (as well as the cash) a parental NI credit until your youngest is 12.

AlohaMama Tue 21-May-13 06:02:20

Thanks, that is pretty much what I thought. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back to work sooner rather than later...

mummytime Tue 21-May-13 06:12:40

You don't have to pay NI if you aren't working. You can also check with HMRC if you are entitled to any tax credits if your DH is paying UK tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now