Talk

Advanced search

Driving LH drive car in England

(7 Posts)
lemmingcurd Fri 17-May-13 17:08:18

Anyone repatriated with their European car? Was it worth it or was it a big hassle? DH v reluctant to sell as it's a nice car only 4 yr old but I'm thinking insurance probs , resale value and converting the milometer... any advice?

calendula Fri 17-May-13 18:26:41

We had a left hand drive car in the UK for a few years. Insurance not more expensive - we specifically asked. We just put some thin strips of tape on the speedometer to mark mph. milometer is fine in km. when driving in town you have extra good view of cyclists but when motorway driving you need to look over you shoulder more when pulling out. you soon get used to it.

snowcone Sat 18-May-13 11:20:52

Resale value likely to be better than taking a Brit car to Europe! Have you looked at relative prices where you live now vs the UK?
We brought our RHD to Switzerland as thought we would only be here for 1-2 years. Now at nearly 3 years we're faced with choice of repatrating the car now (within the time limit allowed to avoid facing import duty in the future if we want to sell it in the UK without moving back ourselves), or keeping it until the end of its useful life. It's a decent car 5.5 yrs old so that could be a long time.
We now also have a fantastic LHD drive car here that is not available in the UK, but even if we move back will definitely not take it with us due to the hassle, plus new and used prices are so much higher here that it's better to sell and then buy something different in the UK.

snowcone Sat 18-May-13 11:22:01

By the way, it's a right pain having the driver's seat on the wrong side for picking up tickets when you go into a car park. Not a deal breaker if the numbers add up, but just something to be aware of!

ripsishere Mon 20-May-13 01:59:54

I took our car back to the UK from Switzerland via Belgium. Unfortunately because I hadn't exported it from Swizzyland and imported it to Belgium due to cost, I couldn't re register it in England.
We ended up scrapping it sad

lemmingcurd Tue 21-May-13 20:19:32

thanks for all replies. snowcone it is the car park ticket thing that although trivial will get massively on my nerves. Plus I hate driving it, only DH likes it. Think will sell

Soapysuds64 Tue 28-May-13 15:05:50

We bought ours back, but after 2 years I had enough of limited visibility on motorways. Sold it in the uk to LHD place in Basingstoke with no problems, when I was ready to buy the car I wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now