Talk

Advanced search

USA Mumsnetters- Across Country Food Drive May 11th

(4 Posts)
HoneyStepMummy Thu 09-May-13 19:24:29

Hello! This Saturday, May 11th, the Postal Service will be participating in food drives across the country. All you need to do is leave your bag of donations by your mailbox for the letter carrier. They will pick it up for delivery to your local food pantry. You can find more information at Facebook.com/StampOutHunger.
The foodbanks are really short right now, partly because people are still struggling after hurricane Sandy.I thought I would post this here since it was another Mumsnetter who turned me onto donating to the foodbanks.

Want2bSupermum Fri 10-May-13 12:50:27

Thanks for posting this. We are always looking to donate excess food to our local foodbank. I know Newark and Elizabeth here in NJ are very low right now.

HoneyStepMummy Fri 10-May-13 19:37:58

After another Mumsnetter inspired me I have started donating once a month. I get my stepkids invloved as I'm sick of hearing "there's nothing to eat". Tomorrow we'll be donating a bag with pancake mix, canned veggies, cans of beans, nice soup with a long shelf life, hot chocolate, fruit cups, jello, boxes of pasta and boxes of Spanish rice.
I figured out if even one family gets one meal out of that it'll help. Next month I'll be more organized and get a bunch of extra stuff during my Aldi shop.
I'm in Momouth County NJ and people's lives and finances are in ruins because of Sandy sad

Want2bSupermum Mon 13-May-13 12:57:03

Im further north and the economy hasn't improved for those in the lower income brackets. I know in our town two churches keep a food bank and both are very low. I often pick something up on my costco trips. This weekend it was a huge bag of rice, diapers and a can of kirkland formula (same as enfamil but half the price).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now