Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Dubai

(12 Posts)
EggyChick Thu 09-May-13 05:59:39

Just hoping for a few opinions. My Y2 DS has been offered places at DESS, JAPS and GEMS. Having done extensive research on all I was looking for some personal recommendations.

JAPS appeals as it seems so like the primary schools back in the UK, GEMS seems to have all the 'toys' but I thought a bit 'corporate' and DESS looked great but seemed big. My DS has confidence so I am not worried about him being overwhelmed but I am in a quandary of indecision. Any advice, experiences would be gratefully received.

Currently in Singapore but moving over in time for new school year. Thanks in advance.

gypsymummy Thu 09-May-13 06:20:09

Hi Eggychick! QWhich gems school are you referring to as there are many here? I live in Dubai, have been here for over a year. Both my DS go to RDS which is a Gems school, british curriculum, teachers and the parents are really active. DS1 is in Yr 2, DS2 in FS2 and both are happy and doing well and we closely monitor them and are very satisfied. I know it is not one of the top ranking schools according to the KHDA but it is doing very well nevertheless. The more fashionable schools are far from where we live and i don;t want to chuck them on the bus or drive a lot to get them to and from school. We did a lot of research and visits before we actually chose RDS. RDs is no different at all from what my DS 1 is used to in UK. We had absolutely no hiccups although he moved mid year.
Hope that helps. Best of luck!

EggyChick Thu 09-May-13 06:41:52

Hi, thanks for the response - it's the GEMS World Academy, as soon as I hit post I thought 'there's loads, you silly mare'! I saw the KHDA rankings and most of the schools on our radar are ranked 'good', you seem to have to jump through hoops to get 'outstanding'. Thanks for taking the time to reply. A lot to sort out and not sure I've got the energy!

Isthiscorrect Thu 09-May-13 17:05:25

JAPS all the way. No question. My ds goes to a gems school and it's great, however world academy is relatively new, and at one point the most exp school n Dubai, about 5 years ago. Japs is lovely but they are going through a bad patch as the head died very suddenly a while back. DESS is lovely but traffic is a nightmare but it is a feeder to DESC for senior school. There is currently no senior school for JAPS although it is on the drawing board, on and off or few years, and by the time you need a high school it will be well progressed. DESS and JAPS are lost as fr part as you can get in Dubai. Where will dh work?

calamityjane Thu 09-May-13 17:53:06

My DS went to DESS from Reception to Year 5 (we left Dubai then) and he loved it there, the oldest English school in Dubai so well established, I know that KS1 and KS2 have different break times so all the children are not out at the same time, I think this makes a difference for the little ones as they are not overwhelmed by the bigger children. But as Isthiscorrect said the traffic can be a nightmare. I can offer no advice about the other schools as we left Dubai 3 years ago.

Good luck with your decision smile

EggyChick Fri 10-May-13 01:19:23

Thanks for the responses again it's very helpful. DH will be working in Jebel Ali so JAPS would make sense. Isthiscorrect - when you say the Head died do you mean recently? The Welsh guy?

It is a toss up between DESS and JAPS...

humblebumble Fri 10-May-13 01:37:02

I would take JAPS. Definitely if your DH is working in Jebel Ali.
Where are you going to live?
Second choice DESS.
I wouldn't go for GEMs World Academy at all.

EggyChick Fri 10-May-13 02:13:52

No I know what you mean about GEMS, it did seem a bit corporate. I did love JAPS so I think my mind is made up. We were going to live at Arabian Ranches but I think it's too far for JAPS. Back to drawing board on housing I think. Any recommendations? With the lease terms they expect you to sign you have to make sure you get it right. We really blundered in Singapore with housing.

Isthiscorrect Fri 10-May-13 10:52:40

Plenty of people live in the ranches and go to japs, however it is a long way but then quite a few more to Jess ranches for year 7 upwards. If like the ranches why not try meadows. Alternatively the garden villas at jewel ali being Ibn battuta are lovely and cheap ;-) (er, cheaper).

humblebumble Fri 10-May-13 16:22:00

I know quite a few families that live in Arabian Ranches and commute to Jebel Ali for JAPS and work. It isn't that far at all in the grand scheme of things but obviously there are other housing options too. Have you posted on the expatwoman.com board?You can get some great info there.

Makingmama Fri 10-May-13 19:30:49

My ds is in R2 at the GEMS Wellington Primary and he loves it! The teachers have been fantastic. I don't have anything negative to say about the school, I'm just very impressed. Good luck with your decision smile

NoSnowJustSand Sun 19-May-13 13:41:29

Just to say that it wasn't our headmaster that passed away but another senior member of staff, who is deeply missed by everyone involved in the school.

I have DC at the school and can't sing its praises highly enough. If only there was a secondary school, it would be perfection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now