Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Munich in August

(10 Posts)
BlingBubbles Wed 08-May-13 21:38:32

Hi Munich Mums,

My DH has accepted a job in Munich and after much discussion we have decided to accept it, so now its all systems go with all the planning. We will be moving out there in August with our 20month DD, any tips or advice on life how there and do's and donts would be greatly appreciated! we are very much looking forward to it but its quite scary at the same time.

jkklpu Wed 08-May-13 22:57:50

Don't live there but have visited a few times and seems like a really nice city for young families. My main advice would be to learn German.

LittleMissLucy Thu 09-May-13 03:18:52

I don't live there either, but spent a Summer there with a theatre company (working). Its a lovely place. Lots of gardens, warm weather in the Summer - I remember a big park with a butterfly house where you could sit and dunk your legs in the pond. I felt very safe there. I was a bit freaked out if I went out for a late breakfast and saw the guys in lederhosen drinking beer with their eggs. But they were construction workers who apparently started work in the early hours and its a tradition. I found it very different to the cities in Northern Germany its not like Berlin or Hamburg at all, but I still very much enjoyed it there and would think its quite a good place for a young family.

BlingBubbles Thu 09-May-13 08:51:55

Thanks for your replies ladies, I have visited the city a few times so know a bit about it. Will definitely be learning German, or try to learn it.

turkeyboots Thu 09-May-13 15:48:40

I Lived in Munich from 14 to 18. It's a great city, but expesnsive and rather conservative and old fashioned. Mums stay at home, shops close at mid day on Saturday, not open at all on Sunday and you go to the butcher, baker and candlestick maker for your shopping.

It has a brilliant location, can be skiing in 40 in Garmish. Lots of lakes with beaches for summer. And proper seasons. Oktoberfest means the place is overrun with drunken Australians, but the family days are lovely.

I could go on and on! V jealous as it is lovely. Not at all jealous about the dealing with German officaldom though.

turkeyboots Thu 09-May-13 15:51:41

Oh and is the only place I've been where people regularly helped me learn the language. Ladies in bakery would give me the names of things and correct my grammer! But loads of people speak English, so you'll muddle through.

I live 45 minutes (ish) outside Munich and my DH works in Munich. There is a very, very useful fb group called Parents in Munich which I recommend you join. It is a closed group, so if you can't find it by searching PM me. You can also try www.toytowngermany.de which has a Munich Family Life section - also useful, but I find PiM way better and much more friendly.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me specific questions if you want. My youngest is only just 2, but as we don't live in Munich "proper" but the countryside outside I don't have much first hand info on things like the best part of Munich to live in - try the websites I suggested for that.

Shops don't close at midday on Saturday any more, except very small ones and some very rural ones ;) There is no Sunday trading though, aside from bakeries til 10am (or some til 12) and petrol stations - which don't have the kind of little supermarkets many in the UK do, but might sell milk and chocolate, and do sell beer... smile We can't get milk delivered but have a choice of 3 companies who deliver beer to your doorstep!

BlingBubbles Thu 09-May-13 23:17:02

Thanks MrTumbles, will definitely drop you a message,and look for that Facebook group. I have been on toytown quite a it grin
I don't think we will stay in Munich itself, we have done the city living thing so we want to be a bit further out, Dh doesn't mind commuting in. We currently live in Surrey and both commute into London so we are use to it.

Thanks for all the tips wink

We also lived in Surrey before we moved here. DH's initial commute was comparable to his Surrey one, but he has since changed jobs and now commutes to the other side of Munich, which is a rather epic daily round trip of 2.5 to 3 hours in the car! We decided not to uproot the kids though, as he is prone to getting bored and changing jobs every couple of years! You get a lot more for your money outside Munich, as you would in Surrey v London. I know a bit more about outlying areas - depends how far out you want to be too. You will at least get a house with a garden for the same rent as a flat if you aren't determined to live centrally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now