Talk

Advanced search

Is your health better or worse living overseas

(17 Posts)
Clueless2727 Sat 04-May-13 08:32:43

In the Uk at the moment, but moving to singapore in 8 weeks. It is so lovely that the sun has finally come out here, however really suffering from hayfever, my eyes are so sore at the moment. I have only got it since i moved to my current house from another part of south east england. So must be something around here which affects me. Hoping that when we move to singapore it will go away.
What afflictions do you guys get or what goes away when you move?

Saltedcaramellavacake Sat 04-May-13 08:48:35

Sadly, in SG some people suffer more from allergies/sinus (my DH is one, having never had a problem before) and skin conditions can get worse because of the climate. If your kids get phlegm-y coughs it takes a long time for them to clear (in my experience) again because of the constant aircon and dampness. Ditto scabs from cuts - it is too wet here and they don't dry out. Betadine is useful to dry them out, and watch what happens if you leave a plaster on for too long... The skin becomes quite strange underneath so we only use to stop blood and then we remove ASAP.
Try to use ceiling fans and not aircon all the time - people often get "aircon colds" here - blocked noses and coughs from sleeping in aircon. On the plus side, my kids look (and actually are) really healthy because they are outside all the time and are strong and lean from lots of outdoor exercise. Better than pasty white any day!

Alligatorpie Sat 04-May-13 09:11:01