Talk

Advanced search

anyone speak NZ English and can help me with a word?

(14 Posts)
ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 13:47:10

watching Outrageous Fortune and I don't understand what "deli" means. Seems to be a name for Eastern Europeans with names like Ivan. Have no idea what it could mean. If you heard someone came round with a gang of "delis", what would that mean?

I am pretty sure I have the word right. What nationality is "deli"?

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 13:50:22

only thing I can find is "deli" meaning corner store.

NotAQueef Tue 30-Apr-13 13:51:19

Not from NZ but have some friends who are and am sure it's used in the context of idiot/fool rather than a nationality.
Happy to be corrected though

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 13:52:52

oh that could make sense. Talking about rival criminal gangs - as Chinese and Delis. At least that is how I'm hearing it

NotAQueef Tue 30-Apr-13 13:54:03

think I might have made that up as a quick google doesn't back up my loose memory. blush

legalalien Tue 30-Apr-13 14:00:47

Doesn't sound right to me, as a kiwi I'd only use deli for delicatessen. NotaQueef, are you perhaps thinking of the expression "a bit of a dill"?

Am going to sit here all afternoon trying to say something that might sound like "deli" to the english ear.....

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 14:04:23

could be Dillis. Doesn't mean anything to you either, right? Definitely being used as a way of grouping a nationality. Can't imagine what it stands for.

Well never mind, it was getting on my nerves that I couldn't figure it out.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Tue 30-Apr-13 14:05:19

I'm also a Kiwi and have never heard 'deli' before outside of referring to a delicatessan.

And I haven't heard anyone use 'dill' for a long long time! I think it might have fallen out of usage? I think the last time I heard that was Alf Stewart calling someone a 'dilly' on Home and Away about ten years ago.

legalalien Tue 30-Apr-13 14:06:24

Just looked at the show's website, haven't seen it, and realise it's set in west auckland. Dali= Dalmatian ie of yugoslav descent, lots of dalmatian settlers in that area historically (giving rise to eg babich winery). Will find link.

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 14:07:31

had a look on youtube to see if I could link to it but the episode isn't up. Really like the theme song - Gutter Black.

legalalien Tue 30-Apr-13 14:07:52

See eg here, spelled Dally

tvnz.co.nz/content/1038681

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 14:08:55

oh ok great thanks for your research smile Dali from Dalmation, Yugoslavian makes total sense. I think one of the families had a surname ending in "vic" so that would fit.

ZZZenagain Tue 30-Apr-13 14:10:24

ah Dally, mystery solved. Thanks for your help!

NotAQueef Tue 30-Apr-13 16:31:43

lega YES! blush blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: