Talk

Advanced search

Feeling lonely and isolated!

(5 Posts)
everythingishoney Sat 20-Apr-13 03:39:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoetEtPantsOn Sat 20-Apr-13 04:45:31

I don't know how old your kids are, but if you have some at home during the day, could you go to some organised activities, like playground or gymbaroo, storytime at the library etc. Then you'd have something to do, adult interaction and might meet some people to have coffee with along the way.

I don't think that the new starts have to be so formal. Friendships are often organic and blossom over time. I do think that if you don't put yourself out there a bit you might be really unhappy by the time you leave and then not be in the best frame of mind when you get home.

Does your DH have any colleagues with nice wives that you could ask over for dinner or go out with in the evening? I find this a good source of contacts when we move to new areas.

Good luck. Cheer up smile

TenBitSailor Sat 20-Apr-13 05:12:35

Where are you lovely?

Cerisier Sat 20-Apr-13 14:25:23

Hi honey, the expat lifestyle thing does make it very hard to make good friends. I don't have any very close friends where I am. Sometimes it bothers me but most of the time I am busy at work and don't have time to think about it.

At the moment I am feeling it and I do sympathise. It is so very hard to find people you really click with. However where do you go to find them? I have tried various clubs and activities but haven't found any soul mates. You are not alone.

MistyB Sat 20-Apr-13 19:41:07

Hi Honey, I think we all reach a time in our lives that we find ourselves missing the friends we wish could have stayed by our sides forever and not quite ready to seek out new friends to replace them with especially as they will be just another person who touches our lives and will be missed in the future. It can all seem like just another pointless chspter in the merry go round of being a frequent mover.

Don't think about it as looking for new friends right now, just people to rub along with until you leave. Make some relaxed arrangements with friends / classmates of your children, invite DH's work colleagues round at the weekend, plan a few Skype dates with your friends elsewhere (that often makes me feel less alone!) or perhaps a trip to visit someone in the holidays. Perhaps try to reach out to people in your new location or rekindle old friendships in the UK so you can have contacts when you move back.

Do something you want to do for yourself. Sometimes I feel obliged to spend my time with other people and sometimes I just go and do something lovely either with my children or all on my own!!! I really am fabulous company you see!! It will also shore up your reserves for returning to the UK and being your true self as much as you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now