Talk

Advanced search

Singapore MNers! Friend visiting with 20mo toddler, what can/should she do/see?

(9 Posts)
TrucksAndDinosaurs Fri 19-Apr-13 02:26:47

Hello, can you help? My best friend from UK is going on trip to Singapore in a couple of weeks with her toddler DS and her DH. She would love to know ideas and suggestions as to good trips and days out. A UK nurse at her GP surgery advised that her DS couldn't have various jabs and travel much off the beaten track - is this true and do you have any recommendations for what to do, where to go, what to see,where to eat, play, walk etc in Singapore and surrounding areas?

Many thanks

papooshka Fri 19-Apr-13 02:32:38

There is loads to do in Singapore with kids. Heres a little list:

Zoo (also has a water play area so take swim stuff/towel)
Bird Park (has water play area too)
Take a boat down the river
Jacob Ballas park at the Botanical Gardens
West Coast Park - fantastic park with sand area
East Coast Park - can rent bikes with kids seats too and bike up and down

You don't need any jabs for Singapore, just make sure that they have lots of sunscreen on, a hat and mozzie protection.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 19-Apr-13 02:33:47

Hey. Don't actually live there but visit frequently and have a 2 yr old. Tell her to visit the Sassy Mama Singapore website. They recently did a great list of all the parks and water play areas in Singapore plus loads of other ideas. Link is www.sassymamasg.com. The 'things to do' section is great. The woman who runs the site has a 2 yr old and a baby herself so she's very clued up. Don't think you need any jabs for Singapore beyond the std childhood ones. Mine never have

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 19-Apr-13 02:40:18

Jacob Ballas is great. Ds had great fun there in the fountains

MasterOfTheYoniverse Fri 19-Apr-13 02:40:43

Singapore is like a theme park. Go to the tourist board website, its all laid out.

Pretty much everything/everywhere is very child friendly.
I'd give the west coast park miss. Too out of the way for visitors with no local hosts.
Definitely make it a day in sentosa instead.

If they want to see the tropical forest, there is a very popular family friendly treetops walk from kent ridge park down to hort park through a beautiful modernist wooden "wave" bridge.
About 1:30mn all downhill. Easy and stroller friendly.

One more piece of advice, always carry a water bottle.

TrucksAndDinosaurs Fri 19-Apr-13 03:01:43

Oh! You are fab - thanks so much for super fast responses!
flowers

Any tips for the flight from London? And back?

papooshka Fri 19-Apr-13 04:49:33

Have a look on the 'longhaul travel' section on here..there are loads of threads about travelling longhaul with little ones smile

Merlion Fri 19-Apr-13 06:15:29

Gardens by the Bay are also lovely - my toddler (22 months) loves the Cloud Forest.

The River Safari has now opened at the zoo too. If they go to Sentosa the new Aquarium is great plus there is a new water park (but I haven't visited yet) and a pirate themed one too. You can also go to the beach there Tanjong Beach Club is good as it has a pool and you can eat there and play on the beach.

Otherwise there are loads of eating options - that certainly won't be an issue and everywhere is pretty child friendly.

For the flight - sticker books, ipad, drugs and alcohol grin. Sorry but this age is the hardest (IMVHO) for long haul flights.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 19-Apr-13 06:55:06

Re flight, ask if its full. If not, beg the airline to block you an extra seat because 12 hours with a 20 mo on your lap will be pretty hellish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now