Talk

Advanced search

Scandinavian....We are moving to Fjnland for a year for work, but want to settle later?

(4 Posts)
StorFetHamster Wed 17-Apr-13 18:39:02

Work for a Scandi company and have been around to Sweden (my home! All over, Lapland, to the south and to most major cities for work, lived in Stockholm and Lund).

StorFetHamster Wed 17-Apr-13 18:48:29

Aargh! But have to settle in Helsinki for a year....have been there for wok and speak Finnish fluently but the company work only in Scandinavia (well, 15% live abroad, so the majority, but most people eventually move it appears).

So, we HAVE to settle in Scandinavia. I can speak Swedish fluently (obvs) and Finnish and Danish (and can speak Faroese fairly well). Have no Nkrwegian whatsoever, never had to work there or anything. I speak a bit of Icelandic but not much.

DH is Scottish and speaks Norwegian (his mum was Norwegian) and has learnt Swedish. No Finnish but is learning and learning quickly. No other languages in Scandinavia but also works in languages (but translates Hebrew and Yiddish).

DC speaks Swedish, because of me, and have picked up Norwegian from MIL and are, also, learning Fjnnish.

I have good knowledge of the Swedish schooling system and am confused about all others!

I have been thinking that we plan go go to Sweden (DH is fine but has suggested Faroes and also wondered about Oslo as an idea, closer to his aunts and uncles). I want to stay safe and go with what we know- if we like Helsinki, settling might be better there of course, but plan for Sweden? Whatever country, we have a job.

Also offers to go to Nuuk- not happening,

Saltedcaramellavacake Fri 19-Apr-13 12:30:24

I'm not sure I understand the question.

ArabellaBeaumaris Fri 19-Apr-13 12:48:30

Is it that you have to spend a year in Helsinki (now?), but that after the year, you could settle anywhere in Scandinavia? & you want to know about the various options?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now