Advanced search

Health care in Alberta

(7 Posts)
Solero Tue 09-Apr-13 20:16:38

Hubby has had a job offer in Lethbridge and we are hoping to emigrate later this year or early next year. I can get an open work visa under my DH's LMO and potentially a transfer in my current job. However I am an insulin dependent diabetic and am worried as to whether this could affect a visa application?

BadgersRetreat Wed 10-Apr-13 17:14:56

Not sure if it would affect a visa but it might be a bit costly if you have to buy your insulin.

When we emigrated (to BC) we weren't eligible for healthcare for the first three months and had to take a special short term insurance policy out for new immigrants to cover the gap. AHS might be able to help with that

Solero Wed 10-Apr-13 21:01:14

Great thanks. Think I might do a sneaky stock up on insulin and pump supplies via nhs before we go grin

BadgersRetreat Wed 10-Apr-13 21:01:56

that might be a good idea!

mindingalongtime Thu 11-Apr-13 07:52:49

Badger can yo tell my any details about the short term health policy. DS is hoping to get residency, but has been on a working visa three times now, but his UK insurance which covered him for 6 months ( ski industry) will expire soon and he needs something else. thank you

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 11-Apr-13 13:18:11

Health care coverage in Alberta
In accordance with the Canada Health Act, Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees eligible residents of Alberta receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services.

All new and returning Alberta residents must register for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services. Alberta Health provides health care benefits in addition to the services required by the Canada Health Act.
Eligible residents
An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

■Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
■Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
■Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
■Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.

Solero Fri 12-Apr-13 21:26:56

Ah thank you wally will look into that a bit more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now