Can anyone help me with a quick meat shopping question in Dutch?

(5 Posts)
newbie24 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:33:07

Hi everyone, I'm in the Netherlands and want to buy some brisket to make in a slow cooker. At least 'brisket' is what this cut of beef is called in the US... what do I ask the butcher for in NL? And how is a slow cooker called in NL? And no, apparently it's not a Dutch Oven smile

Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
Engelsemama Mon 18-Mar-13 12:06:08

I know that ribrunderlappen is like chuck steak (needs to be cooked slowly, what you would use to make stoofvlees ).

Just asked DH what a slow cooker is and he doesn't know.

newbie24 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:14:16

Thanks Engelsemama! Meanwhile, I've found this: http://www.cookingblondes.nl/het-vleesrund/ and it appears that 'Puntborst' is Dutch for brisket. Now, if only I could find a good recipe for brisket in a slow cooker...

I'd be happy to hear other suggestions for a main meat dish that does not require an oven!

Thanks

Engelsemama Mon 18-Mar-13 12:21:45

DH does lovely stoofvlees on the hob. Brown chunks of meat in oil then add onions, stock, red wine, bay leaves and seasoning, and cook on a low simmer for a couple of hours (sometimes DH adds vinegar so it becomes a bit like Limburgse zuurvlees ) then add other veg (carrots, mushrooms) and cook for another hour. It's lovely (look up stoofvlees on t'internet for a more accurate recipe!)

newbie24 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:30:34

Thank you! Yum, that sounds really good. I'll give it a try.

However, for the purposes of an upcoming meal, I'm still looking for something more like a brisket that I can slice and serve to a large group of people. I have the slow cooker, and recall that you can make a decent brisket in that, even if I have to make two smaller batches to serve everyone. I think I'll just experiment a bit. I'll keep you posted smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in