Move to Bahrain...

(15 Posts)
Anothermove Sun 17-Mar-13 09:58:24

I am a regular poster but no due to not wanting to out myself as the work news is confidential!

My dh has been offered a job in Bahrain. We have 2 dc, 6 and 7. We live in the ME already.
I can't ask around without it being obvious we might be off and we don't want anyone to know until we decide!

Anyone who has lived there or still does your help is appreciated!
Is it safe there? Is it like Dubai but smaller? Are the schools good? What one is the best and is it easy to get a place?

I have heard that its very cliquy and not easy to make friends with other expats, is that true? I find it a bit hard to believe as most expats seem very friendly!

LIG1979 Sun 17-Mar-13 10:18:16

Hello,
No experience since having kids so cannot answer on that and also never lived there, but my other half's parents and sister lived in Bahrain and his brother lives in Dubai so have spent time at both.

Bahrain is like going back in time 20 years or so. It is much quieter than Dubai with less young people except for us military. It is less of a tourist place and so there is alot less to do. However, it is less transient and it seems easier to make genuine friends over there. There is the Brit club which whilst it has seen better days (not been over there for a few years) is good for getting to know people and has a pool, tennis courts, kids stuff. It does not have the same proportion of expats as Dubai so you would be mixing day to day with Bahraini s who are lovely and friendly.

It is alot stricter than Dubai in terms of alcohol restrictions, observing Ramadan and dress code yet also alot seedier with prostituion etc since the Saudis come over to drink heavily on Thursday and Friday. The roads can be quite scary on weekends as they are all out and about. There also appears to be less women around as often men come out there on their own. Women however would be very unlikely to go out there to live without a husband. It is fine to go out and about on your oown.

I did spend some lovely holidays over in Bahrain and do miss it. I did in some ways prefer it to Dubai and would prefer to live there and then pop over to Dubai for weekends and holidays.

IwishIwasRiverSong Sun 17-Mar-13 12:23:35

Never been myself, but I believe that St Christopher's is a good school, but I imagine there could be a problem getting places. I have a friend who has been waiting for a place for a while now (year 5 though). Good luck.

ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 17-Mar-13 22:46:12

Lucky you. We came back to the UK from Bahrain two years ago. I wish I could go back. I loved it. Much preferred it to Dubai good schools two English curriculum schools are St Christopher's and the British School of Bahrain (BSB). Both are good. Get your applications in now.

Housing good. Depending on budget of course. Some lovely new compounds in Jasra. I still have friends there who are staying despite the unrest and, like I said, I'd go back tomorrow if I could (and fingers crossed still might in a year or so). Feel free to CAT me.

ILoveGregoryHouse Sun 17-Mar-13 22:47:12

Sorry for typos. That made little sense!

SucksToBeMe Sun 17-Mar-13 22:52:01

Reading this thread makes me want to live there!

Camelscantdance Wed 20-Mar-13 19:54:18

Hi Anothermove, hi Gregoryhouse. Would you believe I am still here in Bahrain.
Anothermove I have two children aged 9 and 4 at St Chris . My youngest starts nursery there in September. I am very biased, I think it is a fantastic school.
It is very easy to make friends here. easier so than Dubai, most of your friends children will be in the same school, then you'll run into them two seconds later at Starbucks, then at Alosra, then in the evening at the Rugby club. So it's a smaller community and you see most people everyday. plus although we have traffic problems they are nothing to Dubai and everything is closer.
Bahrain does have its problems. demonstraitions, tear gas , moltove cocktails and tyre burning happen on a daily basis. and Bahrain does in most parts look very shabby because of it. That said, I know Dubai well, and like it, but happier here in Bahrain.
ps rent is alot cheaper here also!

jellycat1 Mon 30-May-16 14:15:59

Hi all. Just wondering if any of you are still on MN. We are very likely to move to Bahrain early next year and I have a few questions. Won't bother writing a long post unless there are people to read it! Hope to hear from you smile

InTheSandPit Tue 31-May-16 14:18:45

Jelly, suggest starting your own thread, or you'll get messages relating to the 2013 messages at the start.
Not in Bahrain, but just over the bridge. Visit frequently, know someone who moved here to reduce Mr's commute, and someone who is about to go to Bahrain, as can't get school they are happy with here, so he is going to commute.

jellycat1 Tue 31-May-16 15:33:45

Ok thanks so much. I will start a thread. Sorry to be a dunce but do you know where I should put it?! Probably Chat but I can never find chat! Thanks again smile

InTheSandPit Tue 31-May-16 16:25:53

This forum - living overseas!! Slower over there, and you get responses at all hours from different time zones, but won't dissapear too quickly.

jellycat1 Tue 31-May-16 17:24:15

Ah yes. Ahem! Thanks a mil.

MumboJumbo16 Mon 13-Jun-16 12:30:12

Hi ladies! My husband has been in Bahrain since the last two years and we are finally thinking of joining him later this year BUT I have so many apprehensions! My daughter is in reception here. We've applied to St Chris and BSB which I thought were good but I've heard about bullying in St Chris and something about teachers too and suddenly I'm more worried! Does anyone have kids that go to these schools and can throw some more light on the environment there
And your thoughts on the schools? Thanks so much! Xx

jellycat1 Tue 14-Jun-16 10:27:08

Hi Mumbo. Great that you're joining your husband. It's such a good life for families out there. We can't wait to get out. My DH went to st Chris and there are still some of his old teachers there. His family are all still out there and have a wide circle of friends with pretty much all the kids going to st Chris. My nephew is also about to start there. We also heard a rumour about bullying when we were out there last month, but I got the impression it was quite localised in one year group and that it was being dealt with. The other school everyone seems to rave about is Nadeen. Maybe try there if you're still worried.

MumboJumbo16 Tue 14-Jun-16 10:59:12

Hi jellycat! Thanks so much for that reassuring response! I'll definitely look into Nadeen but your reply has made me feel. Lot better. I worry about the fact also that there's really not much to do there and it's so damn hot:-( my five year old just can't handle the heat but kids are ever adaptive aren't they? :-) and I suppose if there's a good expat circle, she (and I!) can make a good set of new friends too, I hope. Thanks a ton again. MJ xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now