Advanced search

what shall I do re school places offered but job not sorted yet.....

(7 Posts)
craftykits Fri 08-Mar-13 14:42:02

We knew last year that it was likely that dh would be moving to a european city with his job where school places are difficult to get. I put the kids names down on the school wait lists as its free to do that and I thought it might ease the stress that can be that sie of things.

I thought school places would come out by April and we should know about DH job by then...but, one school offered places three weeks ago and I've stalled as they suggested I go and look first and I've not had any childcare to go (grandparents all on long hols) The other school has been able to offer the younger but not the other so far....and I have to reply by Monday. At acceptance stage all want a non returnable deposit which the company would pay.

DH has a meeting next week which will be the start of it but the company are notoriously slow about sorting out internal shuffling around. I have no control over the situation so am feeling a bit unnerved by it all.

What has been your experience. DH is saying 'oh the company will sort it out and we don't go if they don't'....true to an extent but surely there are no more spaces at school s than there are regardless what the company can do ?
It could be that we end up somewhere else so paying the money ourselves isn't an option.....

I feel maybe I need to take a back seat and let it all happen around me but that seems easier said than done.

All advice welcome !

anonymosity Fri 08-Mar-13 17:25:07

Can you ask them for an extended deadline on the school places - explaining that you're extremely excited about taking them up but need a meeting to confirm the job to take place first?

Otherwise I'd just pay the deposits to be honest - if you do end up going it will have you covered.

Clueless2727 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:15:46

I'm in exactly the same boat. Waiting for sign off from hubbie's company and the school want a deposit. Hubbie's co have said that they'll reimburse us if doesn't go through.

Clueless2727 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:17:00

Meant to add it's so frustrating being in limbo as to whether we are moving. Feel like life's been on hold for months waiting for someone in the states to make a decision, driving me crazy.

craftykits Sat 09-Mar-13 07:44:21

Ah, someone else in the same boat....yes, am usually the one sorting out our lives and feeling very slightly out of control. I don't think the company fully realise sometimes what it's like for us.......but if all's not well on the domestic front it's going to work it's way to dh's and family eventually...GRRRRR. Hope you sort yourself out soon !

Lavenderhoney Sun 10-Mar-13 03:26:27

I would get an invoice from the school that accepts the two children and email to you dh / his hr dept and ask them to pay it for you.

Call the school and say the company are paying direct and to contact you if it's not there by the end of the week.

If you are v worried, pay by cc yourself and ask for the invoice, forward to hr for reimbursement.

My dh company are like this. It's painful!

Bonsoir Mon 11-Mar-13 09:30:52

You need to get your DH's HR department on your side and someone working for you. Does your DH have a secretary who could help find out who that might be? You probably need to have a good think about the expat package anyway - companies usually expect employees to negotiate hard and long and if you don't you may be out of pocket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now