Another French medical question...this time Colic

(7 Posts)
femmeaufoyer Wed 09-Jan-13 15:34:23

Hi, last time I got loads of help with my French medication question so I thought I'd try again. My 4 week old baby has Colic and I was wondering if anybody knows of any medication I can get from the pharmacy. I know that the word is the same (which is useful) but has anybody used something that they swear by? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
tb Sun 13-Jan-13 19:32:01

I can remember from when dd was little - born in the UK, that fennel seed water was around as well as gripe water. Something like that is probably available, as they're quite big on herbal remedies.

You could google fennel seed remedies for colic, think it's probably something like several spoons made into a tea, and strained, then given using a dropper before a feed. Infacol bottles make great droppers - I found that the stuff inside the bottle was completely useless.

You could always order from amazon in the uk, and pay for the postage.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 15-Jan-13 09:17:57

Hi. My D recommends fennel tisane

PetiteRaleuse Tue 15-Jan-13 09:18:29


tb Wed 16-Jan-13 16:03:20

Back in the days when my grandfather was pill-bashing (literally) there used to be soda-mints for indigestion.

They were literally bicarb with peppermint oil/essence compressed into little round pills. UK-type gripe water can't be given to babies under a month old as it contains bicarb, which from memory isn't good for very young hearts. Suppose you could always try a small spoonful of a low sodium but bicarb-containing mineral water from among the ones that are recommended as being 'safe' for babies. Evian comes to mind, but you'd have to read the label to see the bicarb content, or look on Tesco's site for a nutritional analysis.

MarshmallowFarm Wed 16-Jan-13 16:13:02

DS had gel de polysilane when he had colic as a baby - it's this weird pink stuff you pop in their mouth just before a feed. We got it from the paedeatrician but I imagine you can get it over the counter at the pharmacy too. Also there's a homeopathic remedy called colocynthus or something like that that you might also be able to get in France - worked for my DC.

femmeaufoyer Wed 16-Jan-13 17:39:22

Thanks everybody, I'm willing to try them all!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in